Why is all the fun missing from XenForo.com?

Do you think introducing Mod of the Month / Board of the Month would be a Good idea?

• Yes, this would transform xf.com into a much more interesting place...

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • No, I am loner so I like it as it is...

Votes: 20 66.7%

• Total voters
Sigh...
I have my own opinions on areas touched in this topic...but they are besides the point of why I am responding.

Your poll...
  1. Yes, this would transform xf.com into a much more interesting place...
  2. No, I am loner so I like it as it is...
Is WAY to effing political and carries WAY to much stance on a loaded coin flip to even be expected to be taken seriously so I would guess your way of making fun happen here is to make a joke poll?

to me it reads YES - JOIN THE CROWD | NO - SHAME ME ....ideals like that are one of the very reasons people become loners in the first place, people like to make up their own minds and not be forced into a little box you created because that is the way you view the world.

Anyways, you guys have fun...I have servers to go shut down.

Things will never be what they once were. You can spend a lot of effort to try and make things like they used to be, but it will never happen. Those days were before Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and the like. They were before tablets and smart phones even.

Probably half the visits now are people on their phone looking for one thing and then leaving.

Sounds like a death knell... :(

So there isn't enough 'fun' over at your own community that you come looking for some more in an official company forum? :)

I+had+fun+once+found+on+the+interwebs+enjoy_01ec0b_4120269.jpg

Sounds like a death knell... :(

Not at all... it's about perspective. If you're looking backwards then no matter how things are they will never be what they used to be so you are never happy.

Don't worry about what things use to be- think about what they can be. It may be better or worse but it will most certainly be different.

I didn't vote on the poll, only because of the wording. I do agree that there should be a BoTM and the such, not for fun, but to help bring awareness and recognition to those XenForo sites where the owner worked hard to make their forum unique and interesting. This type of promotion would surely have a positive impact for this site, other XF sites, and XF as a whole.

Why is all the fun missing from XenForo.com?

I agree with Lawrence that it might be beneficial to have XF promotions/events such as BOTM, but I don't think this really addresses the premise raised by the original poster.

The fun is missing from XenForo.com because the fun is missing from the forum admin community in general - you can't blame it on the XenForo software, the XenForo site or the XenForo Team. It's a generalized condition in the forum software universe, stemming (IMO) from a chasm caused by internal politics (internal meaning behind the scenes within and between the forum software providers) as well as a change in the attitudes of the forum administrators over the past 10 years or so.

What is fun on a forum software support site anyway? At it's best it's not like spending a day at the beach or going to Disney. It's the cooperation and camaraderie among likeminded people - a friendly exchange of experiences, thoughts, and ideas - both on and off the topic of running a forum. At least, that's what it used to be....

Back when I joined vb/vb.org, it was nice seeing the top mods. Since I wasn't there from the beginning like I was with xf, I didn't know about a lot of the mods so it made me more aware and I was able to discover some cool mods that I then installed on my site. This is a great feature for new license holders, imo.

BOTM...I always viewed that as a popularity thing as opposed to which site(s) were actually good, unique, etc. Too many friends voting for friends for the sake of a "pin" on their profile. People would vouch for friends to get in the final poll and then vote their friend's boards up. The idea behind it is great, but never practical in the "real world" imo.

BOTM...I always viewed that as a popularity thing as opposed to which site(s) were actually good, unique, etc. Too many friends voting for friends for the sake of a "pin" on their profile. People would vouch for friends to get in the final poll and then vote their friend's boards up. The idea behind it is great, but never practical in the "real world" imo.
This I agree with 100%. BOTM comps started out well but ended up as popularity contests. At one time there were some really good sites to look through, then it was just whoever got the most people to vote for them.

Anyway... I'm having tremendous amounts of fun on XF.com today :p

Top Bottom