Why is all the fun missing from XenForo.com?

Do you think introducing Mod of the Month / Board of the Month would be a Good idea?

• Yes, this would transform xf.com into a much more interesting place...

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • No, I am loner so I like it as it is...

Votes: 20 66.7%

• Total voters
Now we're seeing the f in fun.

hqdefault.jpg

MOTM = "Top Resources" tab on the Resource page. ;) Featured Threads has won it for the last 6 months straight or something like that. You vote by clicking the little succession of stars.. And to make it super Duper exciting The administrators have required reviews to cast your vote. :whistle:

MOTM = "Top Resources" tab on the Resource page. ;) Featured Threads has won it for the last 6 months straight or something like that. You vote by clicking the little succession of stars.. And to make it super Duper exciting The administrators have required reviews to cast your vote. :whistle:
It's called MoTM...if there were filters it would be perfect. Kind of like a lot of things on xf...needs filters to be more fun.

I don't disagree with the idea of Add-on of the Month. Who says your staff team needs to deal with it? It's a community thing in my opinion. We should be looking at newer releases and which shine out to be great. To avoid making an add-on, we could just use polls really. It takes a little while to compile some options together of some trending resources. Perhaps someone that could manage this, without any staff position of course, just makes a discussion thread every month with some options and it's stickied, doesn't really take long for a staff member to do that. Contest opens in the last week of a month and there is a 10 day voting period. Makes sense to me. Nominations for add-ons take place during the period the contest is closed. Even the person hosting it has to spend very little time doing this. Compiling a list is all they do really. Then update a mega thread with links to all prior contests. This is 12 contests a year, just to remember, it's not much.

Maybe that idea isn't the best execution of it (sounds pretty good to me, personally) but you get the idea. XenForo is a growing community by how I see it. Newer customers come in and we see the same old threads, "Add-ons you must have?", etc. This would really ease the transition for newer customers, as well as provide innovative ideas for existing boards. I see no harm at all in trying this.

To clarify, I don't really agree with the idea of 'fun' on a board. It's really a support forum, nothing else. funforums.com would be better to visit for fun. But the way I see it, AOTM doesn't sound like a 'fun' idea, but more like something practical to me. Contests like BOTM would be useless by the way. Just turns into a popularity contest, like already mentioned in this thread. Just food for thought.

Contests like BOTM would be useless by the way.
The same applies to "add-on of the month".

Just because an add-on receives the most votes doesn't mean anything.
It wouldn't change my opinion on it, nor make me want to install it. Indeed, there are a significant number of add-ons I would never install on my site, for one reason or another.
I suspect that applies to most of the members here.

People install add-ons because they want or need them, not because they win some sort of popularity contest, with questionable criteria for inclusion in said poll in the first place.

The same applies to "add-on of the month".

Just because an add-on receives the most votes doesn't mean anything.
It wouldn't change my opinion on it, nor make me want to install it. Indeed, there are a significant number of add-ons I would never install on my site, for one reason or another.
I suspect that applies to most of the members here.

People install add-ons because they want or need them, not because they win some sort of popularity contest, with questionable criteria for inclusion in said poll in the first place.
I think the idea is more to get them noticed if anything. Some are completely ignored. Thing is though, I run a gaming forum. There are lots of add-ons that would benefit my forum, but I don't know about them or haven't even thought of the features they offer yet so I can look for them. This brings attention to them, and say a forum owner sees one that could help his board, he decides to look further into it.

Don't know about adding fun here, but I am sick and tired of being spoken to, like I am something found on the bottom of the shoe - by some of the staff here.
That much I can tell you.
Could I rant about it? Oh yes. Will I? not at all.
Grown man I am, and a customer and I certainly don't need to be treated like a naughty boy in school.

I am always polite, courteous and speak to everyone with respect. Always.
Is it too much to expect to be spoken to with at least *some* respect?

And I am not alone in thinking that the attitude of some is just shocking.

So in regards to the OP?
Yes, maybe add some fun, as it may loosen up the staff - as they act like they're working in a morgue when they speak to you.
If you've faced it, you will know exactly what I am on about too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom