Why are users > edit users > permissions = all NO?

Kilt

When I go to the permissions tab on the Edit User page of any member, all the permissions are set to NO. Why? This is clearly not the permission status of any of the members. What is even the purpose of this tab?

When I go to the permissions tab on the Edit User page of any member, all the permissions are set to NO. Why? This is clearly not the permission status of any of the members. What is even the purpose of this tab?
No is overridden by any yes you have set in their primary user group (Registered) permissions plus any secondary group (yes) permissions,

In other words, as a yes overrides a no it makes sense that user permissions all default to no. It’s the same as with any secondary group you might add the the primary (Registered) group.

What is even the purpose of this tab?

To set custom permissions per user, without requiring an additional user group or change to an existing user group.

I still don't understand.

I don't need to use permission analyzer to know the permissions of any registered member because the permissions of all registered members have been set exactly same at the group level (except for our two super moderators/administrators). Let's say all registered members have the same 80% of the permission boxes checked YES and the same 20% checked NO at the group level.

When I look at users > edit user > permissions tab, all permission boxes are checked NO for all registered members (except for the super moderators/administrators).

If Mr. Lucky is correct that a YES permission set at the group level trumps a NO permission showing in this edit user/permission tab, then how could one change a group YES to any permission to an individual "custom" NO for that permission in this tab, when all permissions in this tab are obviously set to NO's by default and they aren't trumping any group YES'es.

The only custom thing I can see this tab doing is being able to "custom" change a group NO permission to an individual YES. But I haven't empirically verified this.

What am I understanding rightly or wrongly?

I don't need to use permission analyzer to know the permissions of any registered member because the permissions of all registered members have been set exactly same at the group level (except for our two super moderators/administrators). Let's say all registered members have the same 80% of the permission boxes checked YES and the same 20% checked NO at the group level.

When I look at users > edit user > permissions tab, all permission boxes are checked NO for all registered members (except for the super moderators/administrators).

If Mr. Lucky is correct that a YES permission set at the group level trumps a NO permission showing in this edit user/permission tab, then how could one change a group YES to any permission to an individual "custom" NO for that permission in this tab, when all permissions in this tab are obviously set to NO's by default and they aren't trumping any group YES'es.

The only custom thing I can see this tab doing is being able to "custom" change a group NO permission to an individual YES. But I haven't empirically verified this.

What am I understanding rightly or wrongly?
Say for instance you have a node that you want all members of a certain user group to not view or post in, etc. then you set that permission to no in the user group persmissions. But then you want to allow only a member or 2 to be able to. Thats when you go to that specific users permissions and set it to yes.

Only permissions set at the user level will show on the user permissions page.

Their permission set is made up of the user groups they are a member of, user permissions, and node permissions combined.

Assume you have a member who abuses reactions.
You would set it to Never for them only on their personal permissions, like so:
1633118591233.png

However, that member is in user groups which have those permissions set to Yes.

1633118642016.png

Therefore their final computed permissions when using the analyser are:

1633118682436.png

With the React to posts permission comprised of:

1633118739701.png

Top Bottom