Why Are Permissions So Difficult?

DRE

I swear this has a really steep learning curve. I loathe the thought of having to teach permissions to my mods. How are the permissions of other forum modifications compared to Xenforo?

Personally I find them simple and intuitive.
Far easier than the software I used previously.

What is it you have trouble with?
Have you read the manual and resources explaining how to implement them?

For years I was changing the primary usergroup instead of treating upgrades as a secondary usergroup. That was okay at first but I would run into problems here and there, most of them related to User Upgrades. After reading your Implementing Permissions thread I had to re-do all the permissions on my site. One thing I had difficulty last month was Node Permissions. If a usergroup has a permission value set to "Allow" in their usergroup setting then when you're in Node Permissions, you shouldn't have to change that permission to "Allow" since all you need is "Inherit". Well I noticed that if you make a subforum private, you have to set some of those permissions as "Allow" to work. Actually, I think this only happens with developer's addons permissions. So it might not actually be Xenforo's problem, but addon creator's problem.

Last edited:
That's an add-on problem.

Private nodes only require explicit access.

And by that I mean just this permission for each user group:
upload_2013-10-4_14-49-34.webp

But some of the permissions work in a private mode just by using "inherit" though. It's inconsistent.

All of the permissions other than view node work using Inherit.

The view node permission is required to grant access to private nodes. That's it.

XF's permissions system runs circles around the trainwreck vB used. With vB I was constantly having to triple-check everything due to all the options.

I just finished redoing my permissions after migration. It took me about... half and hour. You should read and learn, but after that a bright new world opens to you. And easier and clearer world.

I mentioned that guide in the third post. Brogan clarified that my issue is not with Xenforo's permission system. It's actually just the way some coders implemented permissions in their resources.

Top Bottom