Who owns Galaxy SIII ?

Phone locked up today. Couldn't turn it back on.
Had to pull the battery to reset.

Hopefully it was just a burp.
I found the display brightness odd when browsing until I found a separate display brightness setting for the browser.
Still learning my way.
Have a desk stand, 32G SD card and extra battery on order.
I find it hard to believe they don't have a special window mount.

Phone locked up today. Couldn't turn it back on.
Had to pull the battery to reset.

Hopefully it was just a burp.
I found the display brightness odd when browsing until I found a separate display brightness setting for the browser.
Still learning my way.
Have a desk stand, 32G SD card and extra battery on order.
I find it hard to believe they don't have a special window mount.
Root the phone. Install a custom ROM. The default ROM is crap when compared to the alternatives available. Who is your provider and where did you get the S3 from? I can point you to a proper rooting guide and make some ROM recommendations if you're interested. I don't know if you saw an earlier post in this thread by me or not but I own an Samsung Galaxy S3 (International Edition) that I rooted soon after purchase and installed the MIUI ROM on it.

Root the phone. Install a custom ROM. The default ROM is crap when compared to the alternatives available. Who is your provider and where did you get the S3 from? I can point you to a proper rooting guide and make some ROM recommendations if you're interested.
I'm interested. Not a huge fan of rooting because of the flash counter and the warranty void, but I'm sure there are ways to keep your warranty intact.

Root the phone. Install a custom ROM. The default ROM sucks when compared with the alternatives available.
I'm going to wait a little while before rooting it.
I removed Super User because Google added it automatically since I had it on my Droid 1.
Eventually I'll go back and install it properly.
Just installed TuneIn Radio. :)

I'm interested. Not a huge fan of rooting because of the flash counter and the warranty void, but I'm sure there are ways to keep your warranty intact.
You can root your phone and install a custom ROM however doing so will void your warranty. However you can simply revert back and restore your warranty in most cases. My S3-IE didn't come with a warranty and I am at peace with that fact. Warranties have never done me any good to be honest. What version of the S-III do you have and who is your provider? Answer me those questions and I can track down a rooting guide for you, James.

What do you mean, what version?
Android 4.0.4
Kernel 3.0.8-993945-user
CarrierL Verizon {US}
Special User worked fine on my D1.

I just wish there was an app that would work with Facetime.
I found Tango but it looks like iOS users would need to install Tango also.

James... check your private messages. I've sent you some information on what you're talking about.

What do you mean, what version?

There are different models of the S-III available. They are all known as the S-III but are slightly different between carriers. And then there are unlocked variants and International variants. As you're using Verizon (US) as your carrier... your model (SCH-i535) of the S3 is specific and will only work with an LTE network (where-as mine is an Unlocked International Version (GT-I9300) and will work with almost any network). Some of the phones have slightly different technical specifications and root methods. By the way... here is your S-III root guide.

With the SGS3 you can unroot and reset the flash counter.

This developer made a great tool for managing root and such: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1746680

If you use his work, I'd recommend donating, as he's pretty awesome support wise and upgrade wise.

Im so happy i finally gave up on the iphone....i recently sold my iPhone 4S and picked up a GSIII and the difference is night and day. Apple hardware is the rolex of the market but their operating system imho at this point is those sorry ass duplo's compared to legos...its sad/funny how much sammy wants to be apple though...mind you its a blue phone and it comes with white samsung earbuds...dammit samsnug

Im so happy i finally gave up on the iphone....i recently sold my iPhone 4S and picked up a GSIII and the difference is night and day. Apple hardware is the rolex of the market but their operating system imho at this point is those sorry ass duplo's compared to legos...its sad/funny how much sammy wants to be apple though...mind you its a blue phone and it comes with white samsung earbuds...dammit samsnug
I do not think Sammy wants to by apple, they are ahead of apple in terms of software. Iphone sells are because of its brand name, plus the people they target(kids, female, seniors and other non techy people).
Did you root your phone ? How is the battery life ?

Actually, Android has much better hardware overall than the iPhone, which is lagging behind in almost everything but screen quality, which isn't all that safe when you take into account a lot of recent phones.

I do not think Sammy wants to by apple, they are ahead of apple in terms of software. Iphone sells are because of its brand name, plus the people they target(kids, female, seniors and other non techy people).
Samsung wants the notoriety that Apple has, and the mindshare that they own (And they're getting there). They aren't quite ahead of Apple in terms of software, mainly due to inconsistencies in the UI, and are pretty much shoe-horning some features in (Some are quite nice however). I still prefer Touchwiz to iOS, mainly due to my hatred of skeuomorphic design.

Also, I recently updated to CM10.1 (And due to being impatient bricked my phone for a day), and I'm now getting 2 1/2 days to 3 days of battery, with stock kernel.

Truthfully though, as long as it'll last a day for me in heavy use, I don't care how much battery I get as I charge it at night/in the car.

I haven't rooted yet, on the list. May avoid it if it proves to be anything like a jail broken iphone... only because of the consistent updating/maintence etc

"Actually, Android has much better hardware overall than the iPhone, which is lagging behind in almost everything but screen quality, which isn't all that safe when you take into account a lot of recent phones"

I hear that, but personally i would prefer aluminum over plastic...in a raw materials pov...And while i may cross a line here, the design is very simple but put together beautifully, there...at the end of the day really is no denying that. And what is apple lacking in hardware? NFC? Never used it and most likely in that boat with the masses..i just don't see how they are lagging in the hardware world. Its hardware.....and meets ~ the current standards...

I haven't rooted yet, on the list. May avoid it if it proves to be anything like a jail broken iphone... only because of the consistent updating/maintence etc

"Actually, Android has much better hardware overall than the iPhone, which is lagging behind in almost everything but screen quality, which isn't all that safe when you take into account a lot of recent phones"

I hear that, but personally i would prefer aluminum over plastic...in a raw materials pov...And while i may cross a line here, the design is very simple but put together beautifully, there...at the end of the day really is no denying that. And what is apple lacking in hardware? NFC? Never used it and most likely in that boat with the masses..i just don't see how they are lagging in the hardware world. Its hardware.....and meets ~ the current standards...

If you root your phone, you'll have to manually flash the update for your phone (Which isn't difficult), and you'd probably be better off using a ROM. Cyanogenmod is probably the easiest and most well known, and is fairly stable with CM10.1 (4.2.1 Jelly Bean).

Hardware is the internals of the phone, not the casing.

Also, people complain about plastic, but when it comes down to it, plastic is probably one of the best materials for something that often gets dropped from 3-5 feet. It also doesn't interfere with radios or reception, which is common with iPhones and phones that use aluminum casing. :sneaky: I use a bamboo case so I don't exactly lack for a nice looking device.

NFC is used for many things, and is quite common in Asia. It's slowly being adopted in the United States, and once it gains more traction it'll probably become popular. NFC is used for a lot of things, from the tap-to-share concept advertised by Samsung/Google, wireless charging, wireless streaming and a whole bunch of other uses that I'm too lazy to remember.

While specs currently aren't all that important currently, more innovative hardware will become a huge impact on mobile computing, just as it was for desktops and laptops in the past. Many of the phone manufacturers who create parts for mobile phones are also OEM's, or are partnered with OEM's. Samsung for example has a 8-core ARM chip, which is probably pointless at the moment, but will probably see wide adoption as it matures.

Android is also not just used for phones and tablets. The Ouya will be interesting to watch, as will many of the other products that are Android based.

Going back to the plastic comment a lot of Android OEM's make impressive form factors for their phones, some in plastic, aluminum or even wood (http://www.justadzero.com/). There are waterproof phones (Like many in Japan or the Sony Xperia Z series), and even phones meant to survive being run over by a Hummer.

Apple is slightly behind in hardware now, but only recently caught up with the iPhone 5 and iPad 4. Previous versions were quiet behind their counterpart flagship devices in hardware. Apple does make better use of their hardware, because they only support a few select devices at a time, in comparison to Android that caters to a wide-array of devices with various internal hardware.

If you root your phone, you'll have to manually flash the update for your phone (Which isn't difficult), and you'd probably be better off using a ROM. Cyanogenmod is probably the easiest and most well known, and is fairly stable with CM10.1 (4.2.1 Jelly Bean).

Hardware is the internals of the phone, not the casing.

Also, people complain about plastic, but when it comes down to it, plastic is probably one of the best materials for something that often gets dropped from 3-5 feet. It also doesn't interfere with radios or reception, which is common with iPhones and phones that use aluminum casing. :sneaky: I use a bamboo case so I don't exactly lack for a nice looking device.

NFC is used for many things, and is quite common in Asia. It's slowly being adopted in the United States, and once it gains more traction it'll probably become popular. NFC is used for a lot of things, from the tap-to-share concept advertised by Samsung/Google, wireless charging, wireless streaming and a whole bunch of other uses that I'm too lazy to remember.

While specs currently aren't all that important currently, more innovative hardware will become a huge impact on mobile computing, just as it was for desktops and laptops in the past. Many of the phone manufacturers who create parts for mobile phones are also OEM's, or are partnered with OEM's. Samsung for example has a 8-core ARM chip, which is probably pointless at the moment, but will probably see wide adoption as it matures.

Android is also not just used for phones and tablets. The Ouya will be interesting to watch, as will many of the other products that are Android based.

Going back to the plastic comment a lot of Android OEM's make impressive form factors for their phones, some in plastic, aluminum or even wood (http://www.justadzero.com/). There are waterproof phones (Like many in Japan or the Sony Xperia Z series), and even phones meant to survive being run over by a Hummer.

Apple is slightly behind in hardware now, but only recently caught up with the iPhone 5 and iPad 4. Previous versions were quiet behind their counterpart flagship devices in hardware. Apple does make better use of their hardware, because they only support a few select devices at a time, in comparison to Android that caters to a wide-array of devices with various internal hardware.
After rooting you phone would you be able to use samsung GS3 features like smart stay, smart rotate, and other motion features. smart alert, direct call etc. ?

After rooting you phone would you be able to use samsung GS3 features like smart stay, smart rotate, and other motion features. smart alert, direct call etc. ?

If you just root, you're still on the stock install you only have superuser access and a custom recovery; everything else is the same.

Real men use a note 2 (y)

Do you have child hands or something? Real men use the Huawei Ascend Mate!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/3847446/huawei-ascend-mate-announced

...I'm all for big phones, but after 5 inches I'm kind of done. 6.1 inches is ridiculous, and I'd be better off at carrying my Nexus 7 in my pocket :ROFLMAO:.

love the features in it tho... but too big to handle.

I have one (I don't use it much because I like my bamboo case), and it really isn't all that big once you get use to it.

Very useful when you need to jot something down with the stylus.

If you just root, you're still on the stock install you only have superuser access and a custom recovery; everything else is the same.

Do you have child hands or something? Real men use the Huawei Ascend Mate!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/3847446/huawei-ascend-mate-announced

...I'm all for big phones, but after 5 inches I'm kind of done. 6.1 inches is ridiculous, and I'd be better off at carrying my Nexus 7 in my pocket :ROFLMAO:.

I have one (I don't use it much because I like my bamboo case), and it really isn't all that big once you get use to it.

Very useful when you need to jot something down with the stylus.
Maybe they designed for Bears.

Top Bottom