Who is going to forumcon 2012?

And the whole XenForo/vB thing has added lots of drama. I'd guess they'll be a few public questions asked about it and a lot of private comments made that people would not put into writing where they could be quoted.
And to think I'm a few hours away, I could fly down for a Q&A session .....

Too funny there were two questions about XenForo put to the vBulletin guys who did one of the sleepier panel discussion with four vBulletin people. (IGNITING THE CONVERSATION: GETTING TO ONE BILLION FORUM MAUS Joe Rosenblum | Chief Technology Officer | Internet Brands John McGanty | vBulletin General Manager Kevin Sours | vBulletin Lead Developer| Neal Sainani | Director Product Development | Internet Brand).

Of course they deferred, "its in litigation" so I don't why the people even asked that publicly.

I was sorry I missed the vBulletin vB5 presentation. Be interesting to see how much it looked like XenForo. Kind of shocking to me that they were not announcing a release of a product just the movie trailer with the final edited version to be released in 6 months. That's a pretty desperate marketing ploy. Which makes XenForo look good if a solid upgrade XF 1.2 comes out by summer.

While unsaid it looks very much like the "vB5 isn't ready yet but soon" announcement was, like the lawsuit, aimed at slowing XenForo sales. In this case a "carrot" of "Wait for us, we'll look just like that" vs. the lawsuit "stick" of "Don't buy them, we are going to put them out of business".

On a side note, the screenshots of vB5 they released aren't even real screenshots... rather just mockups (of what they want it to look like).

On a side note, the screenshots of vB5 they released aren't even real screenshots... rather just mockups (of what they want it to look like).

Didn't see the demo but those who did thought it was a working model not just screen shots. Immaterial in a way if they are months away from releasing it. It was more like a very early road map discussion vs. an actual new product.

Funny part is how much it will look, feel and work like XenForo which seems to be the main goal on the UI end. It would reverse the situation if XenForo could say vB stole XenForo core code and even look and feel.

Apparently there wasn't a working demo, just a presentation/slideshow. :ROFLMAO:
Actually it was a working demo, as a source told me.

it was a bit rough (some bugs surfaced), but the UI looks quite good, and stuff is updated from the frontend which is cool
and
I guess they are still polishing it, but nobody really knows how good it is until we are actually able to see the guts.

Actually it was a working demo, as a source told me.

and
If a working demo was indeed shown at forumcon, did the working demo look like the mockups? What features were shown on the working demo?

I am intrigued as to how come there is absolutely no information on this "working demo" (like what features were shown, did they create a new thread and show? or did they do one of the in-place edit thing and show? What exactly, if anything did this "working demo" demo?)

If it was indeed shown at a conference with several people, we should have heard someone say something about what they saw somewhere.

And IF indeed there was a "working demo", what prevented these demo-ed people from taking screenshots? Why not post the screenshots?

The answer to me, seems that, there is nothing working which is presentable. There might be a very early code working enough for people to be able to make a few clicks but nothing which can be presented on a marketing brochure. Hence the mockups being floated. I am absolutely flummoxed at people who have not been to the forumcon or never seen this "working demo", yet been excited by the three mockups! I so wish I had a product to sell these people... !

Of course they deferred, "its in litigation" so I don't why the people even asked that publicly.

Indeed hence why I wouldn't even waste my time, though once it's all over thats a different story ;)

Though not really a good enough motive for going to a conference that is more high level biz-speek from what I can tell. I believe the real communications happen here ..... on live forums, in in rooms with people talking to power point. Though a network event is a networking event I suppose.

Though not really a good enough motive for going to a conference that is more high level biz-speek from what I can tell. I believe the real communications happen here ..... on live forums, in in rooms with people talking to power point. Though a network event is a networking event I suppose.
It's all about the "schmooze" Jerry...but you know that. ;)

I just happened to run into this thread via a search on ForumCon and I have to add some points.

I've been to all three ForumCon events--SF 2011, Chicago 2011, and SF 2012. I'm about as little as they come--running a vb3-based site that has just over 3000 users. If everyone in the room is a rock or a pebble, I'm a piece of lint. It's expensive as hell for me, costing me almost an entire month's worth of money that can go to living expenses. But I still keep going back, and I'll tell you why.

First, it's the ability to meet people that you have NO WAY of ever reaching otherwise. Jerry Orban from Vertical Scope came up to me at the first ForumCon and handed me his card and agreed to be a mentor if I had any questions in running my forum. I signed up for Post Release and didn't have my publisher account approved until I talked to Tyler Tanaka at ForumCon. Then it was done instantly. I talked with Jamie Vondruska about issues on forum growth and ideas on how to solve them. His experience and willingness to suggest great ideas is awesome, but I don't think it would happen online. The same with Greg from Nicoclub. I've wanted Gum Gum to narrow their ads to my vertical (automotive). I talked to Greg from Gum Gum, and it's in the works. This is why ForumCon works for me.

And among the presentations, you'll find goldmines of info, and sometimes sales-speak, but whatever. The networking plus info from presentations has always been valuable.

SF is a good place for me as my brother lives in the city. He was gracious enough to let me crash with him and I just rode the bus!

I've shot a lot of video of the presentations and whatnot just for my own record to keep from taking too many paper notes. If anyone is interested in seeing them, I'll post a link.

Though not really a good enough motive for going to a conference that is more high level biz-speek from what I can tell.
Low level of biz speak. The first guy was all buzzwords and not much info and ended with a "Buy My Book" slide. Tacky but even he blurted out some useful info during his Q&A. Useful info for someone at my re-entry level. I'm sure most folks here would probably would have been suffering from snooze induced whiplash.

I believe the real communications happen here ..... on live forums, in in rooms with people talking to power point. Though a network event is a networking event I suppose.

I'm a big believer in forum communication BUT met up with a friend from the dot.com glory days who was a presenter at a CMS event in town who's advising me on my re-entry. We only had a hour at bar but way more info in 60 minutes of verbal.

For me, lots of good info, gave me lots of questions to answer and a few good answers. My original motivator was to hear and talk to Winter Wong of Tapatalk and he couldn't make it at last minute. Overall it had good value for me, other's mileage may vary.

The stats about users being 50% mobile (repeated from different perspectives by just about every speaker) and need to have good mobile interface was single best take away.

I just happened to run into this thread via a search on ForumCon and I have to add some points.

Your points match my experience there.

I've shot a lot of video of the presentations and whatnot just for my own record to keep from taking too many paper notes. If anyone is interested in seeing them, I'll post a link.

I saw folks doing that but then some (like Tanaka who is super helpful) said the presentations were available to Forumcon attendees somewhere. Or was he just saying he'd make his available?

Your points match my experience there.
Good to hear. :) We'll have to meet in person next time. :D
I saw folks doing that but then some (like Tanaka who is super helpful) said the presentations were available to Forumcon attendees somewhere. Or was he just saying he'd make his available?
They usually post all the slides and professional videos after the conference, but I've seen it take up to a month, so I shoot my own just so I can review it immediately if need be.

I stepped out this time and did a lot more networking so I missed some of the presentations and will have to see them online vs live. :( I'm sure I would have had some questions too. I especially wish I would have caught Dan's (Huddler). I caught up with him after and got the gist of it, but he's a sharp cat and a lot of people were tweeting about the details. Wish I would've gotten all that on video to listen to while I'm still in 'ForumCon' mode. Real work here will take me away from all this very soon.

I stepped out this time and did a lot more networking so I missed some of the presentations and will have to see them online vs live. :( I'm sure I would have had some questions too. I especially wish I would have caught Dan's (Huddler). I caught up with him after and got the gist of it, but he's a sharp cat and a lot of people were tweeting about the details. Wish I would've gotten all that on video to listen to while I'm still in 'ForumCon' mode. Real work here will take me away from all this very soon.

Dan Gill was excellent.

PS Were you the guy in the suit and tie?

Top Bottom