Who Here is Buying The Ouya?

DRE

$99 OUYA the Video Game Console for the 99 Percent.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

photo-full.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Specifications:
  • Tegra3 quad-core processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 8GB of internal flash storage
  • HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth LE 4.0
  • USB 2.0 (one)
  • Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
  • Android 4.0
  • ETHERNET! (Announced by Muffi 7/18)

Looks extremely impressive... and very refreshing for the gaming market. I must concur with the reviews, being the gaming market really has moved to mobile platform games, not console gaming. This gets that + console into the lounge room TV set, surround sound, etc... and at $99 it will put X-box, Playstation and WII out of the market IMHO.

Looks extremely impressive... and very refreshing for the gaming market. I must concur with the reviews, being the gaming market really has moved to mobile platform games, not console gaming. This gets that + console into the lounge room TV set, surround sound, etc... and at $99 it will put X-box, Playstation and WII out of the market IMHO.
There are cheap and free games I want to play for my phone that I'd rather play on my TV because I do not like using the touch screen to play them. So I'm looking forward to this.

While the idea is interesting, a console is more about bringing gaming to your TV. It is more about playing the newest titles on a big screen without upgrading your hardware every month. If they can do that for a reasonable price, they might have a winner, if they can't, we'll just have another Wii, interesting, but just another box that collects dust in your living room.

While the idea is interesting, a console is more about bringing gaming to your TV. It is more about playing the newest titles on a big screen without upgrading your hardware every month. If they can do that for a reasonable price, they might have a winner, if they can't, we'll just have another Wii, interesting, but just another box that collects dust in your living room.
You can't compare a strict and rigid system like Nintendo to the Ouya.

I'm one of the few people who help donate to make this project a dream come true (investor).

I'm looking forward and am very excited about this hitting the market. :D

(You're all going to love how easy the code base is to tweak and how much power this little baby puts out)

Okay maybe I'm being skeptical here. I like FPS and the last thing I want to play a FPS with is a gamepad. Mouse and keyboard. Same with god sims, management sims a mouse is something i prefer. However, shoot em ups I think would benefit from controllers, same with racing sims which using a control pad would be my preference so I'm on the fence with this one.

Interesting to say the least though and I think there is a market for this. Though for some gaming genres I think a mouse and keyboard are for me my preference.

You can't compare a strict and rigid system like Nintendo to the Ouya.
I wasn't comparing it to Nintendo, I just said that if the big titles don't come on the console, it will be dead in the water. The average console gamer doesn't care about whether or not the platform is open, though some might see it as a plus, they just want a console to play the latest Call of Duty on without spending tons of money and time on building computers. If you can't do that on the Ouya, it will be another Wii, interesting, but basically just collecting dust.

Also, that being said, Microsoft have done allot to get indie developers on the Xbox, allot of the popular indie titles are also available on Xbox Live. Sony on the other hand still keeps their environment closed, and I have heard figures for over $100 000 to get a title on PSN, though I am not sure if that is correct. I am not sure what Nintendo are doing, but my opinion is that they are going for nostalgia, though the new Wii U looks very interesting.

I wasn't comparing it to Nintendo, I just said that if the big titles don't come on the console, it will be dead in the water. The average console gamer doesn't care about whether or not the platform is open, though some might see it as a plus, they just want a console to play the latest Call of Duty on without spending tons of money and time on building computers. If you can't do that on the Ouya, it will be another Wii, interesting, but basically just collecting dust.
This is more or less my thoughts as well... Bit scared that if I bother to buy it, I'll end up with a console without any useful games to play with it. And "user created" does certainly not always equal good quality.

This sounds like it helps you play Android games on your TV.
Will this use the Google Play marketplace ?
If I make a game for it ... how will I collect the $$ ?

This sounds like it helps you play Android games on your TV.
Will this use the Google Play marketplace ?
If I make a game for it ... how will I collect the $$ ?
The whole system will be open source and yes, it will support android games.

I would think as the whole system was open source, someone could develop an update to include Google Play marketplace, along side whatever marketplace they develop

This is the Phantom Gaming System all over again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Entertainment

This is to be released in March, and there is nothing but a prototype ready. No "store", not demos, no committed game companies...They lied about Mojang (Minecraft creator) being 'committed' to the project. That's just bad juju. The only people going to get rich in this endeavor is top level management.

And I don't know of one Android game today that supports a native controller.

This is the Phantom Gaming System all over again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Entertainment

This is to be released in March, and there is nothing but a prototype ready. No "store", not demos, no committed game companies...They lied about Mojang (Minecraft creator) being 'committed' to the project. That's just bad juju. The only people going to get rich in this endeavor is top level management.

And I don't know of one Android game today that supports a native controller.

I think I will give it a miss. If I want to game when i'm away from the computer I'll use my Nexus7 and desktop for the high end gaming (through steam).

It all makes sense when you put it like that and they really need to have game companies committed and supporting this and that's even if it's worth their effort. TBH the system doesn't even enter any area of the market that has been missed by gaming tech companies so I'm still very skeptical this will even take off.

Meh. Unless major game developers get behind it I see no reason to buy it. I don't really need to play simple cell phone games on my tv....I have much better things to be doing in real life really. I'll keep my rarely played xbox 360 ;)

Top Bottom