Is buying the copyright removal worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolguy67

So there's a way to remove the XF copyright without buying it - has something to do with extra.less
Less:
/* Copyright */
.p-footer-copyright{font-size: 0px;}
.custom-copyright{font-size: 11px;}
/* End */

So is it worth buying copyright removal when you can do this?

Solution
So , just for a laugh, you could put Community platform by vBulletin?

OK, I'll get me coat...
Jokes aside, there seems to have been some confusion over what is permitted with Branding Removal, so here it is in plain English.

1. All XenForo-generated pages include copyright and attribution text at the bottom of the page, which reads Forum software (or) Community platform by XenForo® © 2010-20(year) XenForo Ltd. and links back to xenforo.com. We call this the copyright notice.

2. Without Branding Removal, you must retain, display and not modify in any way the copyright notice at the bottom of all public facing pages.

3. Branding Removal grants you the right to remove or hide the...
So , just for a laugh, you could put Community platform by vBulletin?

OK, I'll get me coat...
Jokes aside, there seems to have been some confusion over what is permitted with Branding Removal, so here it is in plain English.

1. All XenForo-generated pages include copyright and attribution text at the bottom of the page, which reads Forum software (or) Community platform by XenForo® © 2010-20(year) XenForo Ltd. and links back to xenforo.com. We call this the copyright notice.

2. Without Branding Removal, you must retain, display and not modify in any way the copyright notice at the bottom of all public facing pages.

3. Branding Removal grants you the right to remove or hide the copyright notice from the bottom of public facing pages.

4. If you want to remove the copyright notice for some reason but retain some attribution to XenForo, that's great.

5. However, Branding Removal does not allow you to white-label XenForo or suggest in some way that software other than XenForo is responsible for the pages being generated by or through XenForo.

Last edited:
Solution
However, Branding Removal does not allow you to white-label XenForo or suggest in some way that software other than XenForo is responsible for the pages being generated by or through XenForo.

This seems to be a bit of a grey area though. I look at this and think it's a combination of xenforo and other forum software?
  • The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo

EDIT: on second thoughts that is probably a misinterpretation and is possibly more to do with point 4, attribution.

Not worth it.
Hello @Kier @Chris D

I'm surprised my answer on this esteemed forum got the attention and was given a score. I got a score of -2 for my answer. I am curious what are the scoring criteria set out here?

The OP asked, "Is buying the copyright removal worth it?" and I answered honestly based on my criteria. Is it wrong?

When I was in school I never got a minus score, at least zero, even for the wrong answer.

Now I realize we live in a different world. Assessment is not only objective but also very subjective.

:)

I'm surprised my answer on this esteemed forum got the attention and was given a score. I got a score of -2 for my answer. I am curious what are the scoring criteria set out here?
Ideally people would upvote correct answers and downvote incorrect answers. On that basis, I don't think it's fair for you to have been given two downvotes because whether it's worth it or not is subjective and it is both worth it and not worth it depending on an infinite number of factors for each individual that considers it.

But, it is what it is. Some people disagreed with you and decided to downvote you. I don't think it needs to be analyzed quite so deeply.

Hello @Kier @Chris D

The OP asked, "Is buying the copyright removal worth it?" and I answered honestly based on my criteria. Is it wrong?

When I was in school I never got a minus score, at least zero, even for the wrong answer.

Now I realize we live in a different world. Assessment is not only objective but also very subjective.

:)
I think your "not worth it" answer was useless, and offered nothing of value to the discussion. Perhaps it was laziness, or a case negativity, but whatever the reason, you offered nothing to support "not worth it."

I think your "not worth it" answer was useless, and offered nothing of value to the discussion. Perhaps it was laziness, or a case negativity, but whatever the reason, you offered nothing to support "not worth it."
Honestly... These threads basically encourage short answers.

Is branding free worth it? Not really. Why? Because it adds nothing of value, and is more expensive than other investments such as quality add-ons, custom development or branding free for add-ons. $250-300 is more than many communities make in a month, so it is not really worth spending a month income on something that is essentially pointless unless you can afford it.

The only time it is worth it is a) you can afford it, b) you have a brand that you would rather not dilute with other copyrights. Even the second one is not very valuable, unless you have a particular reason for it.

I generally buy branding free for add-ons for sites I own or run, and if the income is enough to justify it I will pay for branding free for XF or other software. But it's really not worth it 🤷‍♂️.

t’s simply a way to signal a disagreement to your point. Nothing serious.

I don't think it's fair for you to have been given two downvotes because whether it's worth it or not is subjective and it is both worth it and not worth it depending on an infinite number of factors for each individual that considers it.

This is one of the problems with the question voting system. It doesn't work for this type of question where there is no "solution." See my thread here.

But this is now off topic, and would maybe work better in the thread I've linked to.

Apparently you are an educated person. Just based on three words you can judge me perfectly that:
  • my answer is useless
  • my answer is not worth for the discussion
  • I answered lazily, or
  • I have spread negativity.
English is not my mother tongue. If you don't know, now you know!

"Not worth it", no more no less. I can't elaborate further even though I wanted to. I'm afraid that the more I explain my answer, it will distort the meaning of my answer because of grammatical errors, for example.

The most perfect interpretation that best fits my "not worth it" answer is the answer given by @Forsaken .
Honestly... These threads basically encourage short answers.

Is branding free worth it? Not really. Why? Because it adds nothing of value, and is more expensive than other investments such as quality add-ons, custom development or branding free for add-ons. $250-300 is more than many communities make in a month, so it is not really worth spending a month income on something that is essentially pointless unless you can afford it.

The only time it is worth it is a) you can afford it, b) you have a brand that you would rather not dilute with other copyrights. Even the second one is not very valuable, unless you have a particular reason for it.

I generally buy branding free for add-ons for sites I own or run, and if the income is enough to justify it I will pay for branding free for XF or other software. But it's really not worth it 🤷‍♂️.

Okay, I think we've drifted far enough off-course now to warrant bringing this to a close. As a reminder, the below should answer any relevant questions pertaining to branding removal. If anyone has any further questions, please feel free to open a ticket or Contact us.

3. Branding Removal grants you the right to remove or hide the copyright notice from the bottom of public facing pages.

4. If you want to remove the copyright notice for some reason but retain some attribution to XenForo, that's great.

5. However, Branding Removal does not allow you to white-label XenForo or suggest in some way that software other than XenForo is responsible for the pages being generated by or through XenForo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom