Who else loves pop-up overlays?

JVCode

I love them, so elegant and easy/no page loading! the more this feature is implemented into other area's of xenforo the better!

Capture.webp

I like it alot. Kind of wish it wasn't so "bulky" looking. But the feature itself, I'm a big fan of.

I'm sure you can always reduce the border: property to slim it down a little.

Overlays are nice, but they should be used wisely and implemented where necessary which so far xenforo has managed to do. The overlay pop ups really have made one of my all time favourite add-ons (xenmoods) a pleasure to use and develop for.

Many of my users (age: 30-60) don't like it.
That's too web2.0 for them. They like/prefer the old "web 1.0" interfaces without overlays, animation, etc... :D

You can always create a specific style with it all disabled.

Call it "Technologically Advanced Old-Farts Style". Their pride will force them to adapt and embrace the new. When it comes to trying new things. "pride" ranks second only to "Trying to impress the girl".

I enjoy most of the overlays, but the latest with the editor isnt my favorite and prefer the inline text editor.. But with that being said im sure ill get used to it and learn to like it more over time.

I enjoy most of the overlays, but the latest with the editor isnt my favorite and prefer the inline text editor.. But with that being said im sure ill get used to it and learn to like it more over time.

Unfortunately the inline editor that inherits the overlay needs to be bigger (my preference in height is it needs to be bigger) and it's an absolute pain to modify. If you happy settling for the default settings then it's perfect. If your one of those that likes/wants to modify these things it's an absolute nightmare especially when you have to deal with tinymce.

Kind of wish it wasn't so "bulky" looking.
Yeah that border makes it look a bit over the top IMO.. Those Pixels would be better off used to increase the size of the editor in the overlay.

I think it looks quite stylish the way it is now, but when it comes to the usability (I have a bit the thought that my eyes now tend to give the big border too much attention, whereas the focus should be on the content, not the UI) , I also would love to see how a different border-width would look & feel. For example, the border width of the Member card seems a perfect fit?

Yeah that border makes it look a bit over the top IMO.. Those Pixels would be better off used to increase the size of the editor in the overlay.

If you want to reduce the border a little add the following in your extra.css template

Code:
.xenOverlay .InlineMessageEditor
{
    border: 10px solid rgba(3, 42, 70, 0.65);
    border-radius: 10px;
)

What it looks like with the radius lowered from 20px to 10px and border from 20 to 10px is the following.

inlineedit_overlay.webp

Unfortunately the inline editor that inherits the overlay needs to be bigger (my preference in height is it needs to be bigger) and it's an absolute pain to modify. If you happy settling for the default settings then it's perfect. If your one of those that likes/wants to modify these things it's an absolute nightmare especially when you have to deal with tinymce.
I've already increased the height of the editor window from 260px to 400px for the next release. It looks a lot less cramped.

I dislike doing anything other than viewing in an overlay/modal window - it just feels like it could disappear at any time.

Proper inline editing would be much nicer imho

I'm gonna go ahead and say the unpopular thing. I wish it wasn't a popup for the editor, I think that's taking it too far, I'm all for looking nice and shiney with popups, but for an editor? Seems a little OTT, now feel free to go ahead and like then unlike my post as a show of disapproval.

Anyway, jesting aside (the like comment, of course) I would like to encourage the XF Devs to add an option to enable this "quick editor" to be as a popup, or inline in the page such as vBulletin/IPB/MyBB et al do it...

As long as forum modules function properly with all browsers, users in the end will get use to and like to using them and that is what all forum owners want, user interaction tools that help the membership post content efficiently.

I think developers and server admins think more about server performance than the average forum administrator so this is why we are seeing new concepts being innovated here.

Top Bottom