Which web hosting to use

ISA0918

I've been reading all the web hosting forums here and it's been confusing.

Somebody suggested A Small Orange but it is not mobile friendly, will that affect much if I have Xenforo?

Been thinking of InMotion, HawkHost as well.

Could you help?

We would prefer the following:
around $5 per month
SSD
based in US
mobile friendly

Our private community is around 100-150 members right now. Been using Ning but plan to migrate to Xenforo. We already purchased the license but can somebody help us with the webhosting suggestions?

Thanks

You should not only evaluate hosts by it's servers specs, you should look overall features which should include some good DDoS protection and and maybe an optional backup server just in case anything goes wrong.

I tried multiple hosters till now, I just started with OVH and i'm really impressed of the speed and uptime, server is just incredible, I moved all my 6 sites on one VPS, the actual active site is 1 and running XenForo, the rest is just dead sites which i couldn't leave. =(

So yeah OVH is well known company and the support is very fast in responding, good luck.

You should not only evaluate hosts by it's servers specs, you should look overall features which should include some good DDoS protection and and maybe an optional backup server just in case anything goes wrong.

I tried multiple hosters till now, I just started with OVH and i'm really impressed of the speed and uptime, server is just incredible, I moved all my 6 sites on one VPS, the actual active site is 1 and running XenForo, the rest is just dead sites which i couldn't leave. =(

So yeah OVH is well known company and the support is very fast in responding, good luck.
OVH has a reputation as one of the worst hosts on WebHostingTalk, I'd stay away from it if I wanted anything reliable or professional.

@ISA0918 I've written a resource here which may help you understand better: Finding A Good Web Hosting Provider - Best Practice & Suggestions

Thanks all for the information, its really helpful. To summarize:
Stay away from Dreamhost
The following are good:
Digitalocean
A Small Orange - RRWS: Why did you change if its fast?
VelocityIO
TODO10
Mike Edge
OVH

Next question will be should I start with the smallest package, how do I know how much storage will I need?
Our community has about 400 discussions and 120 members.

I have been using digitalocean for almost 1.5 years now and no real downtime they work perfect, installing Xenforo is not that difficult either if you are little technical.

I can help you out for free to set it up if you need some help or here is a guide I made to set it up with hhvm works pretty fast that way: Tutorial: Install XenForo using Nginx and HHVM on Fedora.

Thanks Etherus. Our community is in Ning and we are migrating to Xenforo. Do you have a tutorial for that?

400 discussions and 120 members.

i am going to guess your database is less than 50MBs at this point of time? in any case, most of the storage would be consumed by file attachments in the posts. my forum is more than 10 years old and the database is less than 1GB in size with around 950,000 posts.

if you allow file/image uploads... you should take that into consideration and get at least 10GB. i am going to guess that most web hosts do not offer lower storage on most basic plans these days.

Thanks all for the information, its really helpful. To summarize:
Stay away from Dreamhost
The following are good:
Digitalocean
A Small Orange - RRWS: Why did you change if its fast?
VelocityIO
TODO10
Mike Edge
OVH

Next question will be should I start with the smallest package, how do I know how much storage will I need?
Our community has about 400 discussions and 120 members.
howdy

I left as I wanted to move all my sites to my VPS at Linode :)

Thanks Etherus. Our community is in Ning and we are migrating to Xenforo. Do you have a tutorial for that?
I am sorry I have no experience with Ning, I am not sure this is build in as migration option for Xenforo.

And storage wise most give at least 25 to 30gb in the minimal package that should be enough it would be very rare to get a database bigger then a few gig, your site must become very active and popular to worry about space.

However keep in mind uploads count as disk space so if you will upload large files or images then your space usage can grow quickly.

What I personally did was I started with the minimal package of 5 dollar at digitalocean, once I used to much memory (probably because I am playing around to much) i just got another 5 dollar machine and separated the database to the new machine, since digitalocean provides internal networking you can make it pretty secure by not having the db to the internet.

I use Hawkhost and am very happy. I have used about 3 hosts over 6 years and so far they are the best I have had. MattW is incredibly honest and customer service oriented, Ive never used his service but was happy with all the questions he answered for me. I use Hawkhost semi dedicated plan so its a bit more then 5 bucks, not sure what they over for that amount.

I use Hawkhost and am very happy. I have used about 3 hosts over 6 years and so far they are the best I have had. MattW is incredibly honest and customer service oriented, Ive never used his service but was happy with all the questions he answered for me. I use Hawkhost semi dedicated plan so its a bit more then 5 bucks, not sure what they over for that amount.

Digitalocean for 1 years and keep going.

What about DDoS protection?

I just got 1 month with OVH for testing, but in case I weren't happy which host do you advise to go with, I mean best DDoS protection?

I really don't care about money difference, I need some good DDoS protection because I get a lot of attacks for unknown reason. ;(

What about DDoS protection?

I just got 1 month with OVH for testing, but in case I weren't happy which host do you advise to go with, I mean best DDoS protection?

I really don't care about money difference, I need some good DDoS protection because I get a lot of attacks for unknown reason. ;(
I use Incapsula for CDN and DDoS protection for my other server (not in DO) and had no problems so far.

DO does not offer DDoS protection but if they detect it they will email you and disable your VM network temporary.

I use Incapsula for CDN and DDoS protection for my other server (not in DO) and had no problems so far.

DO does not offer DDoS protection but if they detect it they will email you and disable your VM network temporary.

Oh man 59/month is too expensive. =(

You could use cloudflare pro instead. o_O

Top Bottom