Which localhost server do you use for xenForo?

shenmuee

I am just curious.... Which localhost server do you use for xenForo? Xampp, Zend or Apache? for me, i am used to Wamp. However friends told me there are no support for ApacheTriad anymore.

I used both XAMPP and WAMP in Windows and found their general performance and reliability to be pretty poor. I guess when you install them they aren't exactly as optimised as they could be.

So, I use Zend Server Free Edition now.

It includes lots of bloat, actually, but I tend to just install the Server part and the bits relating to performance and caching (Zend Optimizer etc.) and it works great.

It always wants to install your htdocs folder in C:\Program Files\Zend\Apache2\htdocs though so in later version of Windows you'll get User Account Control problems so you will either need to move htdocs to another location that is writable (my documents, etc.) or make your htdocs folder specifically writable and override any inheriting permissions.

I've used XAMPP for years.

The last time I tried to install ZEND I had a port issue which I couldn't resolve.
I think it may have had something to do with Skype so I'll give it another go.

I've used XAMPP for years.

The last time I tried to install ZEND I had a port issue which I couldn't resolve.
I think it may have had something to do with Skype so I'll give it another go.
I had the same thing, I think but it wasn't Skype related.

I think something still had a binding on port 80, presumably from the previous web server. One thought is, before uninstalling your existing stack, change its port to something obscure like 8888. That way, you know before you install the next one port 80 shouldn't be in use. Just in case something in the uninstall of the old stack doesn't release it.

I've got a test VPS I use that has CentOS 5.9 with Nginx, MariaDB, PHP5.4. I've also got Ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop with Nginx, Percona and PHP 5.4.

The last time it was a clean install of Windows but I'll bear that in mind anyway for the next time I try it.

I would like to start using something more up to date as the version of XAMPP I am using is years old, due to bugs and problems introduced in later builds.

I'm currently using EasyPHP and it works fine. I did have a permissions problem with Win7 that I tracked down to having it installed in the Program Files folder. Moving the install to the drive root fixed all that. And if you use Skype you'll have to change ports...

I started having problems with XAMPP - so I swapped to Zend Server Free Edition (previously called Community Edition?).

Windows build of nginx, a few php-cgi processes (manually spawned due to lack of php-fpm) and the 'official' windows build of mysql

I've used XAMPP for years and never had a problem with it until recently, when I upgraded to one of their newer versions I couldn't work on vB anymore, since it doesn't support PHP 5.4 yet. I downgraded it and works fine for me.

tried MAMP for osx and it was horribly convoluted. at least for a newb like me. trying Zend now actually. wish i could find a worthwhile guide for setting it up on osx.

I like being as close as possible to my "live" environment, so I run a Debian 6 virtual machine with dotdeb repositories of nginx, php, and mysql. Once I am finished I can just suspend the VM and it all goes away until I need it again. Making snapshots before I do a change/update is also a great thing.

Localhost I use XAMPP, then I have a RaspberryPI with a small Test Environment to test on Linux and remote.

I just switched to AMPPS on my Mac. I'll be installing AMPPS on my Windows machine shortly as well.

Top Bottom