Which hosting provider would you recommend, or warn against?

EdSt

Which hosting provider for XenForo would you recommend, or warn against?

Currently looking at (but suggestions are MORE than welcome :) ):

one.com
godaddy.com
siteground.com

Any thoughts?

I'm not recommending or discouraging anyone from any particular hosting provider, but I'll just warn you to look through their fine print for limits on database size. They might even offer "unlimited" storage, but somewhere, usually not obvious, they impose a limit on the database size. My XF forum isn't even that large, but the database is over a GB, which is too big for a lot of shared hosting packages.

If it works for you then there is nothing wrong with it. But there is always room for improvement :p
Very true! I do need to find out how its used over 10gb of storage with less than 5% of that can be accounted for with attachments and DB..
No, but you ought to see how nginx performs on its own. Apache with an nginx proxy is fast, but nginx plus php fpm beats the hell out of it. To be fair, I'm comparing cPanel LAMP to CMM LEMP, though.
Your post is just reminding me how little I know about it all. Need to look into php fpm.

It loads in less than half a second. The server started shutting down when I was hitting 500 users and the CPU and RAM was maxed out on the $5 DO hosting, so added some more and forgot about it LOL.

I'm not recommending or discouraging anyone from any particular hosting provider, but I'll just warn you to look through their fine print for limits on database size. They might even offer "unlimited" storage, but somewhere, usually not obvious, they impose a limit on the database size. My XF forum isn't even that large, but the database is over a GB, which is too big for a lot of shared hosting packages.
Unlimited hosting always has a limit. Test it for yourself by dumping gigabytes upon terabytes of personal photos and videos into a private hosting account for "storage" and watch how quick customer service comes to you or suspends your account. The only way with this would work, for personal use, would be to use something like Cloud One. But even then, with the TB plans, they will throttle your uploading.

Obviously, we're running forums. But mine is pretty media heavy already (my first [of many] galleries is 400mb). This definitely would not work on shared hosting after a while and I would need to use a VPS/dedicated machine with extra storage that is predefined and set in stone to be X GB/TB.

If you're planning on running a forum of any type and know it's going to grow, it's advisable to at least get a scalable (preferably managed if you're new) VPS with terms that aren't ambiguous, like "unlimited".

I
Unlimited hosting always has a limit. Test it for yourself by dumping gigabytes upon terabytes of personal photos and videos into a private hosting account for "storage" and watch how quick customer service comes to you or suspends your account. The only way with this would work, for personal use, would be to use something like Cloud One. But even then, with the TB plans, they will throttle your uploading.

Obviously, we're running forums. But mine is pretty media heavy already (my first [of many] galleries is 400mb). This definitely would not work on shared hosting after a while and I would need to use a VPS/dedicated machine with extra storage that is predefined and set in stone to be X GB/TB.

If you're planning on running a forum of any type and know it's going to grow, it's advisable to at least get a scalable (preferably managed if you're new) VPS with terms that aren't ambiguous, like "unlimited".
Yeah, I'm aware of all that, which is why I put unlimited in quotes. I wasn't really making any recommendations in regards to actual storage space, just pointing out that the database size limit is maybe one of those things that some people might not take into account when looking for a host, and they might not be made aware of such a limit until after they've paid.

We use a Canadian-based provider (we like to "buy local") called Crocweb. No issues to date and I've been quite impressed with the speed of their response to tickets. Performance and storage on their "Adult" package are more than sufficient for our little board. They also do domain registration and I'll probably move our domain to them soon (we registered the domain before we actually selected them as the host so it's currently with a different registrar).

I am sooo glad I clicked on that link. Thanks for sharing it.

I have to say, the difference between KnownHost and Hostgator is like night and day. I sure wish I had found these guys before I signed up with HG!! HG was killing me with very slow performance. I had their Snappy 8000 VPS plan. Uploads were incredibly slow, even for stuff like the XF2 files. Uploads that on my OLD server would have taken only a minute or two at most took upwards of 10-15 minutes at best! It was actually faster to upload to my old server and then use rsync to copy files directly from the old server to the HG VPS!! Every click of a link on my forum would take a minimum of 5-10 seconds to load the next page. Even my 12 year old server didn't do that.

The whole transfer process, from setting up my cloud server from scratch to the final transfer of all content from my old VPS at HG was very smooth. Downtime for my site to transfer the live database was maybe 10 minutes, if that. The difference in page load times was immediately noticeable and VERY dramatic. Even my users commented that the site was responding much faster. And this is before any performance tweaking has started. Attachment image uploading is also very fast.

We still have a bit of work to do to get my email setup and working correctly, but I am confident that will get taken care of.

Jonathon has been a pleasure to work with. It is VERY nice to deal with someone that is actually enthusiastic about what I am doing and whom I can understand on the phone!!

I am sooo glad I clicked on that link. Thanks for sharing it.

I have to say, the difference between KnownHost and Hostgator is like night and day. I sure wish I had found these guys before I signed up with HG!! HG was killing me with very slow performance. I had their Snappy 8000 VPS plan. Uploads were incredibly slow, even for stuff like the XF2 files. Uploads that on my OLD server would have taken only a minute or two at most took upwards of 10-15 minutes at best! It was actually faster to upload to my old server and then use rsync to copy files directly from the old server to the HG VPS!! Every click of a link on my forum would take a minimum of 5-10 seconds to load the next page. Even my 12 year old server didn't do that.

The whole transfer process, from setting up my cloud server from scratch to the final transfer of all content from my old VPS at HG was very smooth. Downtime for my site to transfer the live database was maybe 10 minutes, if that. The difference in page load times was immediately noticeable and VERY dramatic. Even my users commented that the site was responding much faster. And this is before any performance tweaking has started. Attachment image uploading is also very fast.

We still have a bit of work to do to get my email setup and working correctly, but I am confident that will get taken care of.

Jonathon has been a pleasure to work with. It is VERY nice to deal with someone that is actually enthusiastic about what I am doing and whom I can understand on the phone!!

dear friend,Do you use knownhost VPS now?
I have saw you forum,very great.
wait your reply

Last edited:
Any host that allows you to fully self-manage your VPS or dedicated server is good in my opinion. Everything else like those overselling hosts with a preconfigured environment like Bluehost, Godaddy etc are a definite no-go for me.

For Europe, I can recommend Hetzner which has cheap prices and gives you full control over your VPS and dedi.

We use a Canadian-based provider (we like to "buy local") called Crocweb. No issues to date and I've been quite impressed with the speed of their response to tickets. Performance and storage on their "Adult" package are more than sufficient for our little board. They also do domain registration and I'll probably move our domain to them soon (we registered the domain before we actually selected them as the host so it's currently with a different registrar).
I used Crocweb for years before I moved to my own DO instance with my own Litespeed setup. I had nothing but praise for their servers, very good for the price

Top Bottom