Which hosting provider would you recommend, or warn against?

EdSt

Which hosting provider for XenForo would you recommend, or warn against?

Currently looking at (but suggestions are MORE than welcome :) ):

one.com
godaddy.com
siteground.com

Any thoughts?

Avoid One.Com (aka One.CON)....like the plague!

Prior to purchasing with them, I checked whether they supported XenForo...which they did!
A day later when uploading XenForo, XenForo warned that 3 issues could/would cause problems if not resolved prior to installing.

installation-php-jpg.176724
Their technical advice, continue with installment but we can under no circumstances can we make the changes to our servers!!!!!
Bottom line, I could install most things......... but........the Forum couldn't get members and even the Admin, set up, couldn't log in...............

Then the issue with a full refund!

From One.Com:

1. "The little bit pregnant" approach. We can install older versions but not 2.07 so therefor we were kinda telling the truth beforehand.
2. Then the "Cartman" approach. Our corporate policy is to only partially refund the package you purchased....and endless copy/paste of this policy.
3. Then the "deaf" approach! When pointing out that no "corporate policy" overrules basic law......more endless copy/paste and a refusal to respond to any questions, even when supplying them with further evidence that even after their "technical" discovered the fatal flaws, their pre-sales staff were still claiming that One.CON supported XenForo.
4. Then the "GPS has no signal" approach! Whenever my questions became more logical, they would refer me to make a complaint with another department, despite having copied in management-sales-marketing-support.

Only when sending; Sales-Management-Legal- support-complaints departments the below have things started looking up!

From One.Con:
We are sorry if you feel that way. Please note that we are unable to remove the domain fee merely for the second order, namely xxxxxxxxxxxx.com Kindly understand that we conduct business in accordance to the terms and conditions applicable to all customers upon account registration.

My response:
So you believe your company policy is above the law?
Definition of mis-selling:
Mis-selling is the deliberate, reckless, or negligent sale of products or services in circumstances where the contract is either misrepresented, or the product or service is unsuitable for the customer's needs.

Cambridge Dictionary as a noun:
mis-selling
noun [ U ] also misselling
COMMERCE the act of selling something that is not suitable for the person who buys it

Oxford dictionary as a Verb, "to mis-sell"
mis-sell
VERB
Sell (something) to a customer on the basis of misleading advice.

So when prior to purchasing products from One.com and your support person writes that One.com supports Xenforo community forums....but later it turns out that One.com doesn't.............would you agree that this is mis-selling?

Feel free to consult your legal department!

I look forward to hearing your response.

....back to the "GPS without signal"

One.com Hello again Steen,
Thank you for your message.

I understand that you could not use a CMS that you wanted and have because of this cancelled your orders.

You were provided information that we support Xenforo since based on the server requirements on their website it indeed seemed like that. We are of course sorry you could not use all the features you wanted and we are glad to refund the full first purchase and the web space fee for following orders based on our money back guarantee.

Domain is a customized product ordered for a year which you can easily transfer to a new service and is therefore not usually a refundable product after you have already once been refunded 100%.

Feel free to DM me your contact email address so I will gladly transfer your support thread to our Customer Care department who deals with complaints so they can thoroughly research your case and see how we can help you further.

Best,
Inka

ALL on facebook to follow on One.com!
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/po....com/Onecom/posts/10156283629490930&width=500" width="500" height="251" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Attachments

• Installation PHP.webp
    Installation PHP.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 192
This is a fairly old thread but I will still say I recommend -> https://www.hostrush.com

2 GB RAM VPS for $4/mo. Doesn't matter what @DragonByte Tech said I host with them on a 12 GB RAM VPS for $110/year and everything is perfect for me for almost a year now. Best hosting I've ever had for that price.

Get your cPanel licenses from this site -> https://www.buycpanel.com

That way if the deal goes bad for any host you choose, you'll still have your own cPanel license and can transfer it to a new host.

Cheers, I'll look into it.

I should also note as an additional bonus MattW knows XF, I actually moved after he did some work when I was hosted elsewhere and massively reduced my load that my existing host couldn't help with. He's actually helping me upgrade to XF2 including looking at my custom theme. Always handy to have a host who can technically help you out with XF issues!

I'm not one to normally recommend other services but having been with various hosts over nigh on two decades I can highly recommend our present hosting company, not only for the service and uptime they provide, but on the support they give also.

They are purely business to business and you are getting bare bones hosting, ie you get full root access and it's up to you what you do with it, but they do offer a managed solution to cover the server management side of things.
Dedicated servers and Cloud hosting: https://www.ukfast.co.uk/

When it comes to shared hosting, I'll just my 2 cents to say that whatever host you're looking at you should check the small print for restrictions on database size, or just ask the host about it. I don't recall ever seeing this much in years past, but recently when looking at various hosts I came across it quite a bit, but it was usually somewhere where you might not see it before handing over your money. My own XF data exceeds, or is very close to exceeding, the db size limits I've seen. Not a very large forum, but the db is almost a GB - think it grew literally three sizes after migrating from smf a few years ago. ;)

Last edited:
Which hosting provider for XenForo would you recommend, or warn against?

Currently looking at (but suggestions are MORE than welcome :) ):

one.com
godaddy.com
siteground.com

Any thoughts?
Don't go near one.com or godaddy. One.com DO NOT Support xenforo v2.07 no matter what their support staff tell you! Once you find out they have mis-sold you products and they cant support latest version on xenforo, they refuse to refund you fully!!!! Wrote my experiences with one.CON elsewhere! Probably the same w godaddy but I don't actually know!

gl hf

Don't go near one.com or godaddy. One.com DO NOT Support xenforo v2.07 no matter what their support staff tell you! Once you find out they have mis-sold you products and they cant support latest version on xenforo, they refuse to refund you fully!!!! Wrote my experiences with one.CON elsewhere! Probably the same w godaddy but I don't actually know!

gl hf

Godaddy isn't a bad hosting company at all, it's just the simple fact with shared hosting they put account limits on your account like i/o usage and things like that...etc

I buy all my domains from them but don't host with them personally but they're not as bad as you think from what a buddy of mine has told me.

Godaddy isn't a bad hosting company at all, it's just the simple fact with shared hosting they put account limits on your account like i/o usage and things like that...etc

I buy all my domains from them but don't host with them personally but they're not as bad as you think from what a buddy of mine has told me.

I can only document that One.CON will tell you in pre-sales that they support XenForo as a web host.......and when they admit they don't after installing it and can't change their setting, they refuse to refund you in full due to the "corporate policy".......despite NO corporate policy actually being able to "above the law".....otherwise, image how corporations could write policies on racial/religious discrimination, slavery, sexual harassment, etc. And when breaking the law on in any of these areas....they would just respond....we have a corporate policy that says we aren't obliged to abide by any of these laws and have introduced racist and sexually harassing slavery! :eek:

Funny thing with One.CON....if you contact their pre-sales people today, they will probably still say they support XenForo!!!

I think their policy is deliberately designed this way....otherwise, why are they blocking PayPal payment complaints??? If you use PayPal you can normally make a complaint, like being mis-sold a product and asking for a full refund.......but not with One.CON!:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Small change approx £100, but my complaint and correspondence here and on FB is gaining traction and spreading!

The BBC watchdog - consumer programme - loves this sort of cases, particularly when you have transcripts of all communication!

Latest from one.CON..........now they happily promise full refund within 14 days if you aren't happy!!!!!

Based upon my experiences, I guess one.CON has calculated that if they can mis-sell...say 10k newbie customers a year out of $50 in withheld refund.......hey presto $500K money for nothing!

Chat started on 29 May 2018, 06:48 PM (GMT+0)​
(06:48:02)*** steen joined the chat ***
(06:48:02)steen: Hi, If I was to buy the XenForo v2.07 Community forum, do you support it if I was to buy domain names and webhosting services with One.com?
(06:48:04)Customer service: Thank you for your message, please hold on.
(06:48:17)*** Hannie joined the chat ***
(06:48:22)Hannie: Thank you for using One.com 24/7 Interactive Online Support. My name is Hannie.
(06:48:24)Hannie: Hi there!
(06:48:29)steen: hi
(06:48:58)steen: see question above
(06:49:58)Hannie: Xenforo is not tested on our servers yet.
(06:50:10)Hannie: You can try to use it on our servers though
(06:51:15)steen: So you don't support Xenforo?
(06:51:47)Hannie: Their system requirements list (on the bottom of https://xenforo.com/purchase/ ) states "Common PHP functions must not be disabled" but we have a long list of common PHP functions which are disabled for security and stability reasons.
(06:52:53)steen: If I was to buy domain names and hosting with One.Com and install it on your server, would I get a full refund if it didn't work?
(06:53:14)Hannie: Yes, since we have 14 MBG
(06:53:34)steen: what is 14MBG?
(06:53:54)Hannie: 14 money back guarantee
(06:54:37)steen: so, I would get a full refund if I wasn't happy within 14 days?
(06:55:08)Hannie: Yes, that is correct.
(06:55:38)steen: many thanks, you have been very informative and helpful!
(06:55:56)Hannie: Is there anything else I can help you with?
(06:56:46)*** steen has rated the chat Good ***
(06:56:46)*** steen has commented: Excellent clarification of One.Com 14 day money back guarantee is.......or is it! ***
(06:56:46)*** steen left the chat ***

Whatever host you choose, go for a host that has extensive experience with XenForo and is able to give plenty of references of xenforo boards they host. Just 'support for XenForo' is not enough.

Top Bottom