Which font family is best for discussion forums?

Which font family is best for discussion forums?

• Sans-Serif

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Open Sans

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

JoyFreak

A question for all forum owners.

Poll cannot be edited. Please just post your thoughts.

Last edited:
Maybe you mean "sans-serif vs. serif"? Regardless, I voted sans serif as it has always been easier to read long paragraphs and makes the layout look less crowded.

Maybe you mean "sans-serif vs. serif"? Regardless, I voted sans serif as it has always been easier to read long paragraphs and makes the layout look less crowded.
I picked those two precisely as I'm looking for insight from other forum owners on which out of the two is better for readability. I'm currently using Open Sans on my forum but found Sans-Serif to be as good too. Of course, if anyone finds another font is better, feel free to post it. I would love to check it out!

Sans serif isn’t a specific font. It’s a style of font without serifs, hence ‘sans’ serif.

If you specify sans serif your computer will pick it’s default fall back sans serif font, so it will vary from pc to pc.

Have a look on google fonts and filter by serif and sans serif fonts to see examples of both.

Sans serif isn’t a specific font. It’s a style of font without serifs, hence ‘sans’ serif.

If you specify sans serif your computer will pick it’s default fall back sans serif font, so it will vary from pc to pc.

Have a look on google fonts and filter by serif and sans serif fonts to see examples of both.
Okay, that makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up. I can't edit the poll now but I'd still love to hear thoughts on best font to use on forums.

I stick with the XF defaults. Not because they are default, but because they seem to have thought it out and they work good for me. I've used other platforms and had to change them. Some being off looking, some too small. With XF it's good out of the box!

Honestly though, it can depend on you niche. If you have a Medieval forum you may want to use an old timey font etc.

Last edited:
Excellent discussion, poor poll choices 😉

I think it largely depends on the forum UX and theme. That said I think it's often overlooked and a small change in font can have a significant impact on your forum's perception.

And with what I posted above about niche, that can tend to look cheesy and be hard on the eyes. Even with super micro niches, I like basic fonts, for my eyes! Again. XF default. Done.

Excellent discussion, poor poll choices 😉

I think it largely depends on the forum UX and theme. That said I think it's often overlooked and a small change in font can have a significant impact on your forum's perception.
Yeah, sorry about that. I wish I can edit it but I can't. For the time being, just post your thoughts. I totally agree with the statement highlighted.

I actually find the "Typography" style property rather confusing. Does anyone else find the options in Typography confusing too?
For example, where would you find the values for the following 3 options, if you were to change the values?:
User Interface Font
Body Text Font
Code Font

I've got the first two set as:
'Open Sans',-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif,"Apple Color Emoji","Segoe UI Emoji","Segoe UI Symbol"

And the 3rd I've just left as is.

Does that look right to you?

Top Bottom