1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where should we install to? /forums/ or /community/ ?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Stuart Wright, May 28, 2013.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

So we are AVForums.com and our vB3.8.2 is in AVForums.com/forums/
    Do we install Xenforo to /forums or /community ?
    The latter has advantages because it means for a cleaner install (there is loads of crap in the /forums folder which is legacy of many years and does I don't know what).
    But what is best SEO wise?
    Are there any other considerations to take into account?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Stuart Wright

Thanks Brogan. Hadn't considered putting it in root. We are having a CMS and have /competitions /videos /reviews /movies /gaming and other sub folders alongside /forums. Will have to have a long, hard think about this.
  4. Brogan

I originally installed in /community but that was because I was planning to have some sort of portal/home page.
    However, that didn't work out so I moved to the root earlier this year.

Usually you only need to install in a directory if you have a home or splash page, CMS/wordpress, etc., otherwise the root should work in most cases.
  5. Stuart Wright

We will definitely be having a CMS driven home page which will be editorial based rather than community based. Somewhat like IGN, I suppose.
  6. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

I suggest /forums so that you will be changing your folder structure as little as possible. The old legacy stuff which no longer works will eventually be removed anyway.
  7. Brogan

The choice of /forums would be last on my list, simply to avoid situations where there would be a double /forums/forums in the URL.

Although the /forums route can be changed in 1.2 to something else.
    xf_phantom and JVCode like this.
  8. xf_phantom

xf_phantom Well-Known Member

never thought about this till i saw it the first time with vB5
  9. JVCode

JVCode Well-Known Member

I've been looking at my forums url lately also and thought the same, so I just decided to move it to /community
  10. Brogan

11. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Brogan im curious as to why you didnt just put a redirect in your htaccess file to accomplish this on the off chance a portal of your liking becomes available???
  12. Brogan

If one does ever become available then I'll just change it again.
    Or there's always the possibility that the portal can also work with the installation in the root.

As it stands, it's a lot cleaner just having the installation in the root.
    FredC likes this.
  13. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

From a SEO (or any matter really except for looks) standpoint this will have no bearing as the url after the /forums/ will have changed.

(y) For example the forums route could be changed to "section", so it becomes /forum/section/xenforo-pre-sales-questions.5/
  14. xf_phantom

xf_phantom Well-Known Member

If i use xenforo (and the framework) for everything, i tend to install it in the root because of the urls
    It looks strange if you have everything in a own community directory.

If i use wordpress/joomla for the pages and xenforo ONLY for the forum, i would put it into the community directory