Where is the Enhanced Search manual?

Alpha1

I have bought and installed Enhanced Search. But I see no feature list or end user instructions anywhere. The ES site doesn't give much information either.
Clearly the search works, but what can my users do with it? What search variables can be used?
How do I explain my users (who paid for it) what new search functions they got for their money?
Is there a tutorial for end users somewhere or a video?

Last edited:
From an end user's perspective, there's very little to know.

It supports the following modifiers:
+ = AND (default)
- = NOT
| = OR

Additionally, using quotes allows for phrase searching.

Generally speaking, the query language exposed is the same as with MySQL full text.

Otherwise, the changes are generally fairly invisible to users. Searches for shorter words work. Stemming is done automatically (if configured). Results can be sorted by relevance (to the query).

Ah I see. Thanks. That's too bad though that XFES doesn't take advantage of Elastics features. People will still have to use google to use advanced parameters. Hopefully in the future there will be more features in XFES.

Reactions: Xon
Worth noting that the equivalent of the "field:value" type is really exposed via the advanced search form (limiting to nodes, dates, specific users, etc).

Is there any way to search for a bbcode in posts? My members need to find all posts with "[/table]" in it but this doesn't seem possible with Enhanced Search.

Yes, that but quotes get ignored. A search for "[/table]" will result in any thread that has table in it.
This search: https://xenforo.com/community/search/8990260/?q="[/table]""&t=post&o=date
Results in this post: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/session-cache.124239/#post-1132118
I use this way of searching all the time through google. Should this function work on ES?

Worth noting that the equivalent of the "field:value" type is really exposed via the advanced search form (limiting to nodes, dates, specific users, etc).
True except that you can only search for 'newer than', but not 'older than'.

It depends on the stemming analyser. If you have the standard "[/table]" is searchable, otherwise the snowball/English analyser removes some tokens.

Top Bottom