Where Does the Credit Belong?

grant sarver

This is an off shoot of some other vaguely related conversations. Some lament the fact that the "top guy" often gets all the credit for the accumulated work of others. It's really not the that unusual when you think about it.

We have a great symphony orchestra here in Seattle. The fantastic aural experience is from many accomplished musicians. But who takes the bows and who is showered with the accolades? Well, the conductor, of course! And yet he plays not a single note of music! We also have a world-famous glass blower/glass sculptor in Dale Chihuly. Many artisans are employed producing in glass the visions in his head. He rarely has any direct involvement in their production, usually supplying but vague sketches. And yet, every piece bears his name as a Chihuly original.

If Kier and Mike had directed a select team of programmers to produce Xenforo, would it be any less their creation? The great inventor Thomas Edison supervised hundreds of craftsmen and engineers and thinkers. I doubt that in his most productive years he had much time for real hands-on. He once said "genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration". I suspect that he supplied most of the inspiration and his workers supplied most of the perspiration!

So it has been, and so it shall always be.

I'm currently reading the 33 Strategies of War by Robert Greene and there are quite a few examples of this.

One was about a football team who had excellent players, some of the best in the league, but they kept losing season after season, top coach after top coach. Then one day, the right coach came in -- saw what was wrong, and through great leadership helped the team achieve the # 1 spot.

Other examples in the book talk about ragtag armies. Under trained, poorly fed, outmanned and in hopeless situations where someone lead the army into the heat of the battle and snatched victory against incredible odds.

Its reasons like those the 'top guy' often gets the credit because he's the one able to pull together the right talent and get 150% of them.

Now on the flip side, a good leader will ensure the right people are recognized for their efforts and reward them accordingly.

An old mentor of mine always cut through the crap and would say "what's the bottom line"? In Jobs world the bottom line was the only metric.

OBTW: We have a football team that often manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

Top Bottom