Where do your most successful ads go?

Oh, I forgot to put the links to the addons on the new site... thanks for reminding me.

https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/xenforo.12/category
I've just signed up as well. Quick question, is it possible to have two banners of the same dimensions on the same page? I've just tried it now, as we have a 728x90 at the top and bottom of the page for guests, but if I do this with DP Ads, it only loads 1 of the Ads.

EDIT: Just added a 3rd with a different size. It's only loading 1 of the 3 (the most recent one)

You should be able to have both. Rather than highjack this thread, post over in the DP Ads support forum and I'll help figure out what's up.

Yes, it depends on the site and the niche. Certain subjects require a bit more creativity and what works for a high cpm subject like travel won't work for a Call of Duty site.

So I have a chance to reinvent my ads.. as I move from VB to Xenforo

In addition - I am starting a new forum from scratch - where I dont have to worry what I do too much.. (an open road)

Existing forum: Presently (on VB)
(All privately sold ads)
728 x 90 in header every page
728 x 90 below every thread
An 'All advertisers page" (for the private advertisers I have sold ads personally to)
Side columns within threads are devoted to long affiliate skyscraper banners (these can be dismissed by members)

in-app iPhone and Android 320 x 50 banners (at the bottom of threads) (given free to web advertisers)
in-app iPad ads 728 x 90 (at the bottom of threads) (given free to web advertisers)

------------------------

I dislike that I am unable run ALL my affiliate stuff within apps (for example Skimlinks SkimWords dont work in-app) so I am minded to KILL OFF my apps and with responsive design in place, declare all banner ad inventory / impressions as "the same" across all devices - regardless of size / format.

So next up for me is a head scratching phase where my developer and I figure out a collection of responcive design rules for ads. To make them look good and work well for Web. Tablet and phone handsets.

The challenge is - while the forum may stretch and squeeze its boundaries, I dont feel its correct to stretch or squeeze ad banners (because I dont have a mandate to alter advertisers logos and artwork)

Responsive design banner ideas (work in progress)

Mobile:
In portrait on phone handset - floating / fixed 320 x 50 banner at the bottom of every page. (might be unpopular and get hit by accident a lot but it may benefit my paying advertisers the best)
in landscape - er....I havent figured this out yet the 320 x 50 banner size looks kind of dumb on a handset in portrait - (so far I have on my notes 'no ads in landscape...) - perhaps the digital point Add On to serve an ad below what is being looked at? Dunno...
Skimlinks SkimWords dont work in-app. Ditching the app and using responsive design will open a new income stream from this..

Tablet
I know 720 x 90 works well - so perhaps a copy of the above mobile settings but for a larger banner size. Float in portrait? Landscape????

Web:
Stay the same as I have it? (in case there is a riot)

The new forum:

New site Mobile:
In portrait,on phone handsets - a floating / fixed AdSence image 320 x 50 banner at the bottom of every page.
in landscape - er....I havent figured this out yet (so far I have on my list 'no ads in landscape) - perhaps the digital point Add On to serve an ad below what is being looked at?

New Site Tablet
I know 720 x 90 works well - so perhaps a copy of the above mobile settings but for a larger banner size?

New Site Web
Not sure
(just thought of this while typing) As its a new site - I may just "placeholder" the 720 x 90 and 120 x 600 ad zone real-estate with internal in-forum ads - (to direct people to different parts of the site)
Then when there is enough traffic.. change over to serve ads into those zones..
or I could get a handful of CommissionJunction banners that are very 'on topic' and just rotate those until the site traffic builds enough..

I am still looking for an ad network where I can VERY FINELY tune the ad categories coming in. I dont mean REJECT ads but focus in on very specific categories for ads (I have about 50 categories shut down in AdSence right now to focus them and block garbage & very off topic ads but I am unable to switch off more than 50 (grrrr!) - its not granular enough for me) Does anyone know of a really good "ala carte" ad network service?

Interesting thread - I will be back for sure!

Thanks

My experience is that it matters very much exactly what forum or information is in the area where the ad is displayed. Position also matters, but maybe not quite a much.

For example, we have an articles section - and that has always paid better than other areas.

It's fairly easy to change which ads show in which forums - or to track them that way.

Wow! craigiri - you could save your visitors about 2 inches of scroll and to get them to the content quicker if you put your central top banner to the far right of your logo at this site http://www.hearth.com/talk. (I have a pet hate of wasted forum "land")

Had you thought of that?

BTW - what size is that big, wide banner?

Top Bottom