Where do these nutty ideas come from?

Well it depends but you are right to a point...in reality most who use the suffix are not homophobic...but if someone says something that walks them into a joke and they get clowned for using a reference that could be misinterpreted as something one gay person might say to another ...a joke is made with no real harm intended but the underlying fact of it is the reference of gay in correlation with something worth clowning someone over which displays an emotion that gay is bad whether or not the people using the words feel that way.

I know that is not the point in saying no homo at all....which is why abbreviation of the state and your version of it was pretty funny to me but to someone from outside of the circles that used that terminology it would mean something totally different...one could interpret it as not liking gays where the point is making a joke of an awkward scenerio where a hetero says something that they think a homo would say because having to say no homo if you say something that might be considered 'gay' signifies a dislike or fear of that orientation.

You and I both know that it is not said to bash gay people...but from an outside prospective some may consider it to only be that.
I know. lol

Sometimes to break up the tension or monotony of the day, it's funny to say something gay on purpose (but not really meaning it) then excusing yourself with the no homo suffix. To an outsider, we would seriously look confused to them. For example, a couple months ago I told Brogan in a thread 'I had a dream about you, no homo'. I don't know if he's familiar with the joke since he's in the UK. He might have thought I was hitting on him. So really, no homo can come off as offensive and it can also just straight up make you look gay if you use it too much or misuse it. But that's part of the fun.

LOL that's almost as funny as someone thinking this bill would be a good idea to present.
lol funny no homo story. When I was in Basic Training, all the guys had to shower together. One of the soldiers used to get a boner when everyone was in the shower together. He was the only one (not that I would know if anyone else was because I wasn't looking, no homo). He tried to play it off by saying no homo but if you're the only dude with a boner then it's more like uh yes homo. So the team leader made him shower last.

People need to learn to take a joke - I'm gay and yet I say as much so-called 'homophobic' stuff (really nothing compared to the real thing) as the next straight person.

I totally agree with you and that is awesome that you are open and confident in your choice. The thing I am pointing out is ...some people genuinely don't get the joke and sometimes it has to get broken down for them...and only because for some people in some places homosexuality is a touchy subject..for instance the first time someone said no homo in front of my father he did not understand the entirety of the sentence it was attached to and was totally befuddled.

It was pretty funny actually but under certain circumstances, which I was thinking this is one since this is a public forum and since people are from all sorts of situations here it would be wise to initiate the conversation of the referenced joke to the point where someone who didn't understand the joke would now possibly get it thus possibly evade an unneeded altercation about a subject that is already quite controversial.

Dammit... I am sorry to be the guy to ruin the joke. :whistle:

I totally agree with you and that is awesome that you are open and confident in your choice. The thing I am pointing out is ...some people genuinely don't get the joke and sometimes it has to get broken down for them...and only because for some people in some places homosexuality is a touchy subject..for instance the first time someone said no homo in front of my father he did not understand the entirety of the sentence it was attached to and was totally befuddled.

It was pretty funny actually but under certain circumstances, which I was thinking this is one since this is a public forum and since people are from all sorts of situations here it would be wise to initiate the conversation of the referenced joke to the point where someone who didn't understand the joke would now possibly get it thus possibly evade an unneeded altercation about a subject that is already quite controversial.

Dammit... I am sorry to be the guy to ruin the joke. :whistle:
In other words, you were like omg he said no homo, lemme explain it before someone gets mad.

While I don't agree with the law, I kind of have to defend the rights of shop owners.

Freedom has to go BOTH ways. A person should be free to shop wherever they want. However, at the same time a shop owner should be free to refuse his services to whomever he wants. What if I was a shop owner, and simply didn't like a person? I should be free to refuse his business. Now, what if he happens to be gay? Or Black? Or Muslim? Me refusing his business has nothing to do bigotry, but as long as shop owners don't have their own freedoms, whats to stop a refused customer from claiming I was a bigot?

The problem with that is ...if I own a grocery store.....and I know and am friends with all the other grocery store owners in my immediate area...I can simply make people have to leave my locale because they can't easily get food and supplies because all the shop owners individually have preference against a group and we all share that view. That can get very messy and probably will.

While I don't agree with the law, I kind of have to defend the rights of shop owners.

Freedom has to go BOTH ways. A person should be free to shop wherever they want. However, at the same time a shop owner should be free to refuse his services to whomever he wants. What if I was a shop owner, and simply didn't like a person? I should be free to refuse his business.
And if the community in which that business is licensed feels that it unfairly deals with a segment of the population in violation of their standards of decency, the city, municipality or county in which it exists should be able to revoke/deny renewal of their business license, occupancy license, tax breaks, health inspection, etc.

And if the community in which that business is licensed feels that it unfairly deals with a segment of the population in violation of their standards of decency, the city, municipality or county in which it exists should be able to revoke/deny renewal of their business license, occupancy license, tax breaks, health inspection, etc.
Freedom.

Top Bottom