Where do I start?

Marcel

Yes, I know this has been asked a thousand times already, but I don't think the answers I can find fulfil my needs.

It's time to start creating my own add-ons for Xen, instead of using others and tweaking them to suit. I started down this road on vBulletin, but obviously with the switch to xen I need to start afresh.

My history? Not too much in the way of programming, cursory PHP, HTML, CSS knowledge. A tiny bit of history in C++ many years ago (So probably nothing of note). Got quite into programming back in my student days (So those brain cells have more than likely died off now).

So, where do I start? I've set up my IDE (Eclipse PDT), a local server (Using XAMPP) and xenForo installation.
I've set up the project in Eclipse and I have been peeking around the code (I've installed Kier's Post Message Regex Replacer too so I can see how things work).

I understand the basics of Model, View, Controller (In the premise of the very basics of their primary overall function in this environment).

What I don't understand are some very basic concepts (I know, it's simple stuff)....for example

what's $this-> ? (For example : $this->getModelFromCache('Parameter'); )
What's a class?
I understand the concept of passing arguments, creating variables etc.
I understand very basic PHP, and by that I mean very basic.
What about -> etc

Maybe I should start with a crash course in PHP instead, and expand my knowledge there.

I apologise for yet another thread on an oft-raised topic. I'm eager to get cracking, and I'm chomping at the bit. I like to think I have a very analytical and logical mind, and I pick things up rather quickly, if presented in the right way. I mostly learn by doing IMO.

Thanks Jeremy, I've been giving Codecademy a going over this evening and it's all starting to come together (Bit by bit of course).

Right, I've got the basics of OOP under my belt. Classes, methods/functions, inheritance, instances, parameters, variables, constants, $this-> ;) too.

I've had a look round the xenForo files within Eclipse and it makes much more sense. It's still rather complex. I can visually understand roughly what's going on, but there are references to references to references etc...It's quite a rabbit hole. A logical rabbit hole though!

Top Bottom