Where are avatars stored? Size restrictions advice?

andrewkm

Where are user uploaded avatars stored?
What are the usual size restrictions of avatars that you would recommend for a board with 10,000 members and growing? (We have 25GB space on this VPS at the moment - can always increase)

Does xenforo do something to resize/lower the size to save space?
Does xenforo delete old avatars once user uploads new one?
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Does xenforo do something to resize/lower the size to save space?
Does xenforo delete old avatars once user uploads new one?

Yes and yes.

Avatars are uploaded and converted to JPG format with 85% compression. They are also appropriately cropped and shrunk to maximum 192 pixels.

It creates 3 copies, large, medium and small. More space than just a single copy, but means the user is only downloading the size they need rather than a large avatar downloading to be shrunk by the browser.

Furthermore, yes, once a new avatar has been uploaded, the previous is deleted.

I have just uploaded a 64KB avatar (500 x 500 pixels) and it breaks down like this:

Large: 11KB
Med: 4KB
Small: 2KB

Total: 17KB

Let's say you have 100,000 members all with avatars: 1.62GB.

I really don't think you'll need to worry about space :)

Yes and yes.

Avatars are uploaded and converted to JPG format with 85% compression. They are also appropriately cropped and shrunk to maximum 192 pixels.

It creates 3 copies, large, medium and small. More space than just a single copy, but means the user is only downloading the size they need rather than a large avatar downloading to be shrunk by the browser.

Furthermore, yes, once a new avatar has been uploaded, the previous is deleted.

I have just uploaded a 64KB avatar (500 x 500 pixels) and it breaks down like this:

Large: 11KB
Med: 4KB
Small: 2KB

Total: 17KB

Let's say you have 100,000 members all with avatars: 1.62GB.

I really don't think you'll need to worry about space :)

Thank you very much for the wonderful response! I highly appreciate it :D
One last question; do you have any advice on what my size limitation for our users should be?

Top Bottom