1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are avatars stored? Size restrictions advice?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by andrewkm, Oct 13, 2012.

1. andrewkm

andrewkm Active Member

Where are user uploaded avatars stored?
    What are the usual size restrictions of avatars that you would recommend for a board with 10,000 members and growing? (We have 25GB space on this VPS at the moment - can always increase)

Does xenforo do something to resize/lower the size to save space?
    Does xenforo delete old avatars once user uploads new one?
    Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Insy

Insy Well-Known Member

in data/avatars folder

Jake Bunce, Chris D and Shelley like this.
  3. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes and yes.

Avatars are uploaded and converted to JPG format with 85% compression. They are also appropriately cropped and shrunk to maximum 192 pixels.

It creates 3 copies, large, medium and small. More space than just a single copy, but means the user is only downloading the size they need rather than a large avatar downloading to be shrunk by the browser.

Furthermore, yes, once a new avatar has been uploaded, the previous is deleted.

I have just uploaded a 64KB avatar (500 x 500 pixels) and it breaks down like this:

Large: 11KB
    Med: 4KB
    Small: 2KB

Total: 17KB

Let's say you have 100,000 members all with avatars: 1.62GB.

I really don't think you'll need to worry about space :)

karll, Insy, 8thos and 2 others like this.
  4. andrewkm

andrewkm Active Member

Thank you very much for the wonderful response! I highly appreciate it :D
    One last question; do you have any advice on what my size limitation for our users should be?

5. Insy

Insy Well-Known Member

64KB should be enough for an avatar.