Whenever we change the title of the thread url also get changed

PankajA

Something it happens when we need to change the title of the thread, Then the url of the page also get changed and it generate duplicate content issue with the Google.

How can we solve this issue??

We need that url of the page will not get changed when we made change in the title of the thread.

Thanks
Neeraj

I checked the http traffic, too. XF sends a 301 when you request a thread via an incorrect/old/edited/etc title. So Google will see that and update their link accordingly.

Correct. XenForo enforces canonical URLs with redirects for all important routes including forums, threads, members, pages, categories, and attachments. This helps search engines to update their links appropriately when a thread title changes.

I agree that the old url redirect to the new url but when every url changes google consider it as a new thread and scan the complete thread, Then it generate duplicate content issue in google webmaster tool, after a month it get automatically solve but if you have a forum that have thousands of users and title keep on changes/url changes for some reason then this type of issue drop you traffic. We are getting this problem with our website.

Is there some way we can change the title of the post and url remain same. Same as that of WordPress (Most popular CMS) when every we change the title of the post url remain same.

I agree that the old url redirect to the new url but when every url changes google consider it as a new thread and scan the complete thread, Then it generate duplicate content issue in google webmaster tool, after a month it get automatically solve but if you have a forum that have thousands of users and title keep on changes/url changes for some reason then this type of issue drop you traffic. We are getting this problem with our website.

Is there some way we can change the title of the post and url remain same. Same as that of WordPress (Most popular CMS) when every we change the title of the post url remain same.

Remove titles from the URLs:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) -> Include Content Title in URLs

it is flexible, but doesn't seem to be convenient at all.
quite a pain to go there each time after you open new thread as normally thread titles are quite lengthy and litter URL look.
Moreover simple users can't control route filters...
I think it would be great to have similar solution as in most CMS when custom URL part appears below title on 'Create new article page'.

Correct. XenForo enforces canonical URLs with redirects for all important routes including forums, threads, members, pages, categories, and attachments. This helps search engines to update their links appropriately when a thread title changes.

I have two sites running https and the canonical url still shows as the regular http one. Should it not show as https?

Kind of the difference between a forum and a CMS, don't you think?
I wouldn't want my users creating custom URLS for the threads.

@Tracy Perry
There is a difference between a forum and a CMS, but I dont understand what's the point of having ugly thread urls on forum.
Moreover, many people use xenforo with portal add-ons like Xenporta, so nice URLs will only help.

Why wouldnt you let users change url part? It depends on users anyway... if you allow them to create a thread and pick a title - why do you think they cant suggest acceptable thread URL?
In ideal world this option could be based on access via group permissions. However I just dont see that it can be seriously abused.

@Tracy Perry
There is a difference between a forum and a CMS, but I dont understand what's the point of having ugly thread urls on forum.

Depends on what you call "ugly". I expect a URL (friendly) to follow what the topic is. I don't want to see a URL out there that says "OpenLiteSPeed_installs" and go to it and find that it involves the insertion of certain parts into other parts. ;)

Moreover, many people use xenforo with portal add-ons like Xenporta, so nice URLs will only help.
I think you will find that most users could care less about "nice URL's". It's usually the person that runs the forum that has a certain mindset in how it "should" look.
Why wouldnt you let users change url part? It depends on users anyway... if you allow them to create a thread and pick a title - why do you think they cant suggest acceptable thread URL?
In ideal world this option could be based on access via group permissions. However I just dont see that it can be seriously abused.
I want the title and the URL to be similar... as do probably most other forum owners. And I DO see how it can be seriously abused. If it can, it will.

Top Bottom