When to upgrade xenForo

Chernabog

This already sounds like a stupid question, but let me just run with it...

The Customer part of xenForo does not really tell you what version of xenForo is the most current compared to what you have - so when do you know, or where do you find, that information to make an informed choice and/or even know that you can upgrade?

This is good stuff, so I want to keep abreast of changes and ensure I am upgrading as I should be.

An announcement and email will be made once XF2 is released as a public beta.

You can choose to upgrade then or wait until it is released as stable, which again will be made clear with announcement and email.

Of course, when you can upgrade will also depend on which third party add-ons and styles you have installed, whether XF2 compatible versions are available for them, or whether you can do without them.

I appreciate how friendly and helpful everyone in this community seems to be, especially to the non-tech-savvy, such as myself. It is refreshing...

I am learning my way around xenForo and getting better.

I do have one last question, for the moment and I can post it here or to a new thread -> but I have noticed that the upload a file button appears in my forums when replying to or posting a new thread - but i do not see it in conversations when creating a conversation or writing out a reply, despite it being an allowed function in the permissions groups...

Should be I be looking elsewhere or troubleshooting down a different path?

If you have the permissions set, then it should work.

You might want to try the "Analyze Permissions" function (Under the Users section) which will ask you to provide the username of an affected user, and then it will list all the effective permission values and allow you to expand them to show where that value is coming from.

You might have that permission set to "Never" in a group you're a member of which is explicit and can't be overridden (so it will always be "never" regardless of how many groups you're in which allow it).

If you have the permissions set, then it should work.

You might want to try the "Analyze Permissions" function (Under the Users section) which will ask you to provide the username of an affected user, and then it will list all the effective permission values and allow you to expand them to show where that value is coming from.

You might have that permission set to "Never" in a group you're a member of which is explicit and can't be overridden (so it will always be "never" regardless of how many groups you're in which allow it).

Ahh! I am thinking now that if the outgoing person or person involved in the conversation is a no or never that is why..

Ok some of the simplest answers get overlooked at times...lol thank you!

Will an update from xf1 to xf2 be like another update?
Mostly.

We started the process here at 10:20am (which started with a backup!) and then we did the main upgrade itself which took less than 10 minutes, then there is various rebuilds and significantly avatar rebuilds which took about 20 minutes then we updated the add-ons and converted the database tables to utf8mb4, this was finished by 11:10am.

So, all in all, about 50 minutes for a decent sized board, and I think it might have taken us less time but we were checking out / fixing various other issues too.

Top Bottom