Design issue  when Rebuilding Caches....

This will only happen for a few seconds and there's nothing that can be done about it. The old templates are removed to bring the new ones in. It should happen for something like 10 - 20 seconds.

This will only happen for a few seconds and there's nothing that can be done about it. The old templates are removed to bring the new ones in. It should happen for something like 10 - 20 seconds.
I would like to see something in place while this happens. What about simply using one of the file templates like the install/templates and disabling the board and enabling such a template (which says down for maintenance for a short time) and then when done set it back to normal.

I think it would be by design to do that. Otherwise you could get some weird results and errors while rebuilding instead of the white page.

I would like to see something in place while this happens. What about simply using one of the file templates like the install/templates and disabling the board and enabling such a template (which says down for maintenance for a short time) and then when done set it back to normal.
Is there any way to do this? Would love to implement as my board remains blank usually for 1-5minutes.

I think it would be by design to do that. Otherwise you could get some weird results and errors while rebuilding instead of the white page.
Well, I would guess 99.9% of the time, stuff would still at least function. And I certainly would say SOMETHING is less weird than a blank white screen. :)

Well, I would guess 99.9% of the time, stuff would still at least function. And I certainly would say SOMETHING is less weird than a blank white screen. :)
I will be using the command line to install add-ons etc (rebuilding is a bit faster from the command) and with that will be adding a little site down message which will basically be done the same way as the installer is done... just some basic file templates.

I will be using the command line to install add-ons etc (rebuilding is a bit faster from the command) and with that will be adding a little site down message which will basically be done the same way as the installer is done... just some basic file templates.
Yeah... I'm also building something myself... I'm using files as templates, so going to *not* delete them all at once, rebuild them in a temp directory, then move them all in at once.

Yeah... I'm also building something myself... I'm using files as templates, so going to *not* delete them all at once, rebuild them in a temp directory, then move them all in at once.
Ah yeah, that sounds like a good solution too... was thinking of something like that. My solution is a more simple thing just to show a basic down message while it happens.

Yeah, anything would work really... we just get too much traffic that people start pissing and moaning (and calling and emailing) if we are down for any more than 2 seconds (literally). Kind of annoying sometimes.

Yeah, anything would work really... we just get too much traffic that people start pissing and moaning (and calling and emailing) if we are down for any more than 2 seconds (literally). Kind of annoying sometimes.
Yeah I can imagine. And the fact sometimes your updates could take a fair while due to your massive (massive compared to what I work with) database.

Yeah I can imagine. And the fact sometimes your updates could take a fair while due to your massive (massive compared to what I work with) database.
I've always done "hot" upgrades with vBulletin (I don't shut the site down for users while doing them). I'd probably do the same with XenForo if I was on it.

I think we should force to use a default template for this case. It is different between "blank page" and "maintenance page".

Top Bottom