XF 2.2 When a registered user (awaiting email confirmation) is deleted, XenForo still attempts to resend confirmation emails

bzcomputers

I've come across this a few times now where a new member signs up with a known bad email address like me@notgivingyoumyaddress.com and the account is manually deleted by a staff member. I then still see XenForo attempting to send email confirmations to that address after the account has already been deleted.

That’s not actually possible.

Email confirmations are only sent at the specific time an action happens such as entering the email confirmation state when registering and that email is sent instantly rather than being queued.

Email confirmations aren’t scheduled and sent at a later date or anything like that.

In other words if the user is deleted, we don’t actually have any knowledge of what their email address is any more.

If things happen very quickly and the email is sent, and somehow delayed and the user is deleted then perhaps the MTA may attempt to catch up and eventually try to deliver that email but that seems unlikely and at that point XF will have already sent the email so it is out of our control.

So I’m not sure what you’re seeing here but this shouldn’t happen in typical conditions

Thanks for the response.

Using a WHM/cPanel server, with XenForo setup for imap, when an email address is rejected I get a 354 error (see below).

354error.webp

I know this is an incorrect response from the server, but those of us using cPanel have had this happening for over a year now. As far as I know there has been no solution found.

So even if I delete the user after the first rejection, I still get additional rejections showing in the form of errors.

354errors.webp

I thought this was XenForo attempting to resend the confirmation email from an already deleted account. Now I assume this is the server itself attempting to resend on it's own?

Which means I end up with numerous errors over multiple days for each rejected/bad email address even if the account is deleted.

server-response.webp

It has just become very annoying after a year of this. If anyone has a server solution I would appreciate it.

@spirogg, @spk100 - Are you still dealing with these errors on your WHM/cPanel servers?

"Swift_TransportException: Email to XXXXXX@xxxx.com failed: Expected response code 354 but got code "503", with message "503-All RCPT commands were rejected with this error: 503-The mail server could not deliver mail to . 503-The account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing 503-the proper dns entries. 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA"

@djbaxter - I know you run cPanel also, have you been getting these since cPanel 94 came out in early March 2021?

Just trying to find someone who may have found a fix, or at least a way to suppress the never-ending daily errors reported on XenForo for new registrations with bounced/bad email addresses.

@djbaxter - I know you run cPanel also, have you been getting these since cPanel 94 came out in early March 2021?

Just trying to find someone who may have found a fix, or at least a way to suppress the never-ending daily errors reported on XenForo for new registrations with bounced/bad email addresses.

No that didn't happen for me on 5 different servers.

You might have a look at https://xenforo.com/community/threa...range-value-email_confirm.168016/post-1364486

I thought there was an addon somewhere that checks email at registration but I can't find it at the moment.

@spirogg, @spk100 - Are you still dealing with these errors on your WHM/cPanel servers?
@bzcomputers yes still get that issue I tested just now

Code:
Swift_TransportException: Email to yeah@yeah.com failed: Expected response code 354 but got code "503", with message "503-All RCPT commands were rejected with this error: 503-The mail server could not deliver mail to yeah@yeah.com. The account or 503-domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the proper dns 503-entries. 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA " src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php:459
Generated by: Spiro Mar 30, 2022 at 11:59 PM

Top Bottom