WhatsXFessenger

WhatsXFessenger

Add this after the vars:
Less:
.message-signature
{
    display: none;
}
Of course.. I think I must have been half asleep, I had my first COVID vaccination on Thursday! 😅

Coding GIF by memecandy

I'm not sure if it's my custom style (probably), but the member card is way off when hovering over the user avatar on the right..?

1616229293287.webp

I can't repro that on the default style - it appears above the avatars in the correct location at all widths.

There's a good chance it's your custom style - is it a free one?

Set this up in my dev. Instructions were perfect. I'm running a custom style with PixelExit Flat Awesome+ as the parent and everything looks okay. Might tinker a bit with the look before I go live with it, if I do. Will get a couple other people with access to dev to have a look and see what they think before I go too far with it. At the very least, I can analyze what @Brogan did to learn a bit more about styling.

Some add-ons need to be rebuild after the modification.
The add-ons in my case:
  • OS Browser Display
  • Conversation Read Checkmark
  • Conversation Folders
Screenshot_2021-03-20 Add-ons spiritueel wetenschap ruimte en natuur forum - Configuratiesche...webp

So I spoke too soon, on my UIX theme I'm getting the below client side error in the console (causing the replies to hang though they get posted behind the scenes). This is chrome on multiple devices including mobile. It appears to be specific to these edits as I have multiple UIX themes that all work fine without the changes.

Uncaught TypeError: r.getClientRects is not a function
at S.fn.init.offset (jquery.min.js:2)
at S.fn.init.dimensions (core-compiled.js?_v=c9ca6306:25)
at message.min.js?_v=c9ca6306:36
at message.min.js?_v=c9ca6306:4
at core-compiled.js?_v=c9ca6306:62
at Object.c [as load] (core-compiled.js?_v=c9ca6306:103)
at Object.setupHtmlInsert (core-compiled.js?_v=c9ca6306:61)
at Object.XF.Message.insertMessages (message.min.js?_v=c9ca6306:4)
at c.insertMessages (message.min.js?_v=c9ca6306:36)
at c.afterSubmit (message.min.js?_v=c9ca6306:35)

It seems to be throwing a JS error but these edits don't touch JS - it's pure CSS and one small template edit.

I don't use UIX so I can't really help.

Perhaps the style designer can advise.

This is terrific, thanks @Brogan

Some users are complaining that in conversations with multiple users, the lack of username below the avatar makes it hard to follow who's saying what. How would we put the username back in?

I'm not a fan of that look.
It starts to add clutter and looks lopsided.

If I want to know the author I just hover or tap the avatar, or look at the participants list

However, edit from line 91:

Less:
&.ctaConversationMessageOther
{
    background: @__ctaMessageOtherColour;

& .message-userDetails
    {
        display: block;
    }

& .message-name
    {
        visibility: visible;
    }
}

Overall I prefer the layout for the smallest screen size - I may permanently switch conversations on my site to that.

Very nice, thank you.
But what is with the conversation_list?
(For me) this list is the problem, not the conv_view.

I dont understand, that you dont understand. :)

conv_list = list of conversations = (like list of threads)
conv_view = one conversation with list of conv_posts (like one thread)

Whats App list with chats <=> conv_list

Sabrina's picture = chat with Sabrina and you
Peter's picture = chat with Peter and you

but xenforo

Sabrina's picture (if she starts the chat), but your picture, (if you started the chat)

or with conv_essentials
Sabrina's picture (if she did the last message), your picture, (if you did the last message)

xenforo conv_list must be changed to:

Sabrina's picture = chat with Sabrina and you (it doesn't matter who starts the conv or who have answered the last time)
Peter's picture = chat with Peter and you (it doesn't matter who starts the conv or who have answered the last time)

The conv_list is done like a thread! It shows the thread_starter, but this is wrong!
A thread is "x persons write a thread", we get the info who startet the thread, we get the info if you are a part of that, and the info who has postet last.

But a conv is always something with YOU and SOMEONE ELSE; so the most important information is:
WHO IS THIS OTHER PERSON?!

Just as in Whats App list of chats; imagine WhatsApp where you startet 50 chats with 50 persons looking like Xenforo Conv!

It will look like this

[ picture of you ] Text
[ picture of you ] Text
[ picture of you ] Text
[ picture of you ] Text
[ picture of you ] Text
[ picture of you ] Text

but it looks ALWAYS

[ picture of other1] Text
[ picture of other2] Text
[ picture of other3] Text
[ picture of other4] Text
[ picture of other5] Text
[ picture of other6] Text

One more time in words:
Nobody has seen all these years that a conversation isn't a thread!
A conversation is something between you and me!
To recognize a conversation i need you picture in the list of chats!

Think about, how much better it is to see just with one look to who you talk especially when people have avatars!

Think about a xenforo for you and your family!
Xenforo now:

1. Picture from:
Maybe you, maybe your mother, depends, who started the thread.
2. Picture from:
Maybe you, maybe your father, depends, who started the thread.
3. Picture from:
Maybe you, maybe your sister, depends, who started the thread.

but WhatsAPp

1. Picture of your mother
2. Picture of your father
3. Picture of your sister

with one view you do know the chat!

Absolutely no clue what it is you're asking.

This guide changes the layout of conversations.

If that's not what you want, start a new thread in the relevant forum.

This looks really good. (y) I'll have a go at integrating it when I have my new forum up and running.

Looks awesome indeed, but I am curious if anyone got some feedback from it's users?
Most times, when I change something and I think 'wow this looks cool', my users say 'What have you done? Please roll back, this is a forum!'

Looks awesome indeed, but I am curious if anyone got some feedback from it's users?
Mine really liked it, but wanted the username to display also (for multiple users conversations, where they couldn't remeber from avatar alone whom was the author). Posted question for same, and Brogan gave a response with how to easily add/include the username too.

This looks great! I made "your own" speech bubbles a shade of blue and the others white like a messenger and I already got compliments.

Top Bottom