Whats your Backup Solution?

seojoseph

Hey,

I was wondering what your backup and recovery solution? Have you tested your recovery? Do you have a script to tar and download to another source? Just interested in some of the less extreme but effective solutions you've tried.

My backups:

1. First is by my VPS provider that happens every 3 days.
2. Second is daily backup with duplicity and Amazon S3.
3. Every 15 days, I have script that creates tar that I download and store on 2 different locations locally.

2. Backupsy
If you are referring to the VPS provider.... hopefully you won't have the problems I had with them when I cancelled service with them (since I no longer needed it). I cancelled about 2 months ago and still get hit on my card with a charge from them - and then have to jump through hoops to contact them, contact the bank (since I use a card that I keep a VERY low balance on until I transfer money into to make payments - it's a separate checking account). Last ticket I entered to them I notified them that it was going to start costing them $75 per hour 2 hour minimum if they processed any more charges. We'll see on the 15th when it normally hit.

If you are referring to the VPS provider.... hopefully you won't have the problems I had with them when I cancelled service with them (since I no longer needed it). I cancelled about 2 months ago and still get hit on my card with a charge from them - and then have to jump through hoops to contact them, contact the bank (since I use a card that I keep a VERY low balance on until I transfer money into to make payments - it's a separate checking account). Last ticket I entered to them I notified them that it was going to start costing them $75 per hour 2 hour minimum if they processed any more charges. We'll see on the 15th when it normally hit.
I'm paying with PayPal. I never pay with credit/debit cards on unknown companies/websites, especially hosting. If they don't accept PayPal (rare), I generate virtual credit card numbers through citi/discover credit cards, and pay with them.

Bravo for that. I never heard of those. :) Thanks.

rdiff-backup is pretty amazing, I've got daily backups going back months stored in less than 2x the size of a single backup, and with rdiffweb you can restore any revision of any file/folder in a dropbox-style web interface

The only things it lacks are encryption (sure you can use something like encfs, but it has to be unlocked while backing up) and compression

rdiff-backup is pretty amazing, I've got daily backups going back months stored in less than 2x the size of a single backup, and with rdiffweb you can restore any revision of any file/folder in a dropbox-style web interface

The only things it lacks are encryption (sure you can use something like encfs, but it has to be unlocked while backing up) and compression

How fast is the restore from a rdiffweb? its pretty quick?

Last edited:
I use phpMyAdmin. Although my last backup was on November 29, and I'm supposed to be taking backups once a week on Fridays. LOL

Was it easy to setup Dark?

ssh is your friend. :)

database:
mysqldump --opt -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD DBNAME > /PATH/TO/backup-name-date.sql

files:
tar -zcvf Back-name-date.tar.gz /home/USER/public_html

Download all the above.

Of course if moving, I like to take 1 extra step and do at least a manual file download as well (on the safe side).

And it should go without saying to never leave your backups on the server. Can't tell you how many people claim to have made a backup, yet never downloaded it and left it on the server.

And for security, never have a backup inside /public_html/

I force myself to do a backup every Sunday night. It's usually quiet around then, so I can shut my forum for 10 minutes and do an SQL dump.

If there was an idiot-proof means to dump a backup on schedule to an off-server location, that would be even better. Give me a month or so - my new professional job is going to involve Backup and Monitoring systems, so I may learn a thing or two.

I force myself to do a backup every Sunday night. It's usually quiet around then, so I can shut my forum for 10 minutes and do an SQL dump.

If there was an idiot-proof means to dump a backup on schedule to an off-server location, that would be even better. Give me a month or so - my new professional job is going to involve Backup and Monitoring systems, so I may learn a thing or two.

reading the documentation right now - rdiff-backup + rdiffweb seems like a solid solution. https://clientarea.ramnode.com/cart.php?gid=11 and $20 a year - so if he has months of backups for *2 of a normal tar.gz 50GB is way more then enough for me at least. Getting the flow down with the database backup still needs to happen but this direction seems like the right one for me.

..and for those who don't know - Adam is pretty awesome. :)
That mysqldump command doesn't even include the host name. :rolleyes:

The better, and much preferred mysql dump command from a script would look like:
Code:
mysqldump -q -f -Q -e -h[HOSTNAME] -u[USERNAME] -p[DBPASSWORD] [DBNAME] | gzip > [BACKUP_PATH]/[DBNAME].1.sql.gz

Last edited:
Top Bottom