Whats your Backup Solution?

Of the four utilities mentioned in this thread (rsync/duplicity/backuppc/rdiff-backup), are any of them better than the other, or is it really a matter of personal preference?

Personal preference, but rsync (or similar) is probably the underlying technology behind the others.

I think either a VPS or glacier setup would be best. The benefit of a VPS, as I understand it, is that I can set it up to pull the backup rather than have the main server push it, providing a bit more security?

Pulling is more secure. However, on a personal site/VPS, who cares? Yes...safety and security is great. I preach that every day. But the only thing somebody has access to if you use the push method, is your backup server. At the end of the day, if you are making multiple diverse backups, who cares? If you make a backup every day to a VPS, download a backup to your home computer every day, etc., the security of your backup server really doesn't matter as much, to where push vs. pull is going to make a huge difference.

Are you guys doing full, differential, or incremental backups?

We do both full and incremental. Full backups are made weekly, incremental are made twice per day.

Of the four utilities mentioned in this thread (rsync/duplicity/backuppc/rdiff-backup), are any of them better than the other, or is it really a matter of personal preference?

We like rsync just because it's simple and reliable. It does exactly what it is designed to do, and if you use it properly, it won't mess up.

I have Plesk making weekly backups of the entire server, and individual backups of each site every 3 days. The site backups are stored on a USB drive (not mine, it's plugged into the server), and I also download these backups and store them on my second hard drive, a usb drive, and in my Google Drive. MySQL database and site files that is.
It takes around 20 minutes each time but well worth it.

Top Bottom