What's With The Price Increase?

The price increase was announced back in December.

This is the first price increase for XenForo since its release in 2010. That's pretty good really considering most things have had several price increases in that time. XenForo is still good value compared to other forum software too. :)

In real terms the price has actually come DOWN.

Still seems a bit much to pay for XenForo 1.

Especially since there are plenty of places to get XenForo 1 for free. Not that I would. Those things are spywared/malwared/trojaned to the hilt.

Just that with support ending for XenForo 1 soon, seems a bit much to pay.

And don't tell me to get XenForo 2. I would rather walk in lava than use the ugly thing that is XenForo 2. Seriously, as far as the GUI is concerned XenForo 2 is a downgrade.

Especially since there are plenty of places to get XenForo 1 for free. Not that I would. Those things are spywared/malwared/trojaned to the hilt.

And don't tell me to get XenForo 2. I would rather walk in lava than use the ugly thing that is XenForo 2. Seriously, as far as the GUI is concerned XenForo 2 is a downgrade.
Cosmetics.You can use other styles, edit the various elements you don't like. But personally I never thought that there was all that much of a difference between the stock XF1 look and the stock XF2 look: you'd likely still instantly recognize each as an XF forum. Not that I'm trying to change your mind, like what you want to like and all that, just saying it might matter a lot more to you than most of your forum members. And not that I'm trying to rob XF of the business, but really, if I were looking at either investing in a dead software that will never receive updates, with an equally dead addon development community, or investing in a completely different forum software....well, I know which I'd choose.

Last edited:
$140 * 1.0164 * 1.0314 * 1.0208 * 1.0147 * 1.0161 * 1.0012 * 1.0127 * 1.0214 * 1.0254 = $164

You're saving $4 using US CPI Inflation Rate.
Using out of date software means that security flaws won't be updated in the long run.

I guess you could monitor exploits for XF 1 and patch them yourself, but that isn't recommended.

$140 * 1.0164 * 1.0314 * 1.0208 * 1.0147 * 1.0161 * 1.0012 * 1.0127 * 1.0214 * 1.0254 = $164

You're saving $4 using US CPI Inflation Rate.

Using out of date software means that security flaws won't be updated in the long run.

I guess you could monitor exploits for XF 1 and patch them yourself, but that isn't recommended.

And if you go by the UK inflation rate (as XenForo Ltd. is a UK company and its directors & shareholders live in the UK), they're even better off, with the price being $176 if increased with inflation.

My phone bill is going up by 2.7% next month, in line with inflation. Personally, I feel a $20 increase in 8 years has been earned multiple times over.

I guess you could monitor exploits for XF 1 and patch them yourself, but that isn't
recommended.

Spacebattles and Questionable Questing are still using XF 1.

It’s not that bad. Just save up for it.

I'm poor, crippled, and have no job. Save up how? I don't have any money. All I get is birthday and Christmas money sometimes. And lately I'm not even getting that.

Many of us would like things that we cannot afford - a flashy car, a big house etc - stealing them (which is what anyone who gets nulled versions of XenForo is doing) really isn't the answer, so saving for these or adjusting our wants to our needs is what needs to be done.

If XenForo is too expensive for you and is something you are likely to not be able to afford in the near future but you really need to start a forum, then take a look at some of the (legal) free solutions out there - phpBB, MyBB, SMF etc. You could get started on one of these and if your forum takes off then in the future if you still wanted you can convert it to XenForo, possibly with funding raised through donations on your site. :)

Nobody is forcing you to go to XF2...

I think the crux of it is xenForo is commercial software and that is something that some people forget or fail to understand. 'Commercial' comes with a price, it's sold for profit by a business and people who work for that business expect to get paid the same as anyone else doing a job.

Top Bottom