whats up with the SpaceBattles forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome. The site's very fast for me, and looks great even on the default style. With a bit of time and some tweaking, the users won't know what hit them.

Would be very interested to hear what they do as we saw the same thing. Whilst VB could happily handle thousands online, XF struggled with a few hundred until we made some config changes. Still don't think it'll handle anywhere near what VB did though...
Considering their cores are very different, it's no surprise that you would have to make alterations to your server configuration so XenForo can make the best use out of the server. There are a few larger XenForo installations that handle traffic just fine, just takes some tweaking is all.

The search re-indexing is quite server intensive so it may need to be done when things have calmed down a little.

Edit: Spot on Onimua.

The search re-indexing is quite server intensive so it may need to be done when things have calmed down a little.

Edit: Spot on Onimua.
maybe next added feature for xenforo is to be able to offload search re-indexing to a remote/secondary server and/or have reindexed result imported back to main server ?

IIRC there's also a lot of user stuff that gets applied at first-login (after migration) - trophies, usergroup promotions, etc. - I remember the CycleChat server getting a bit overwhelmed by it all when I finally opened the floodgates. (y)

Soon settled down though. :D

I haven't used elasticsearch yet

I thought elasticsearch resides on same server as xenforo is installed so uses same server resources as the server which xenforo is installed on ?

I haven't used elasticsearch yet

I thought elasticsearch resides on same server as xenforo is installed so uses same server resources as the server which xenforo is installed on ?
It does not need to be installed on your web or DB server... it can be installed on multiple servers if you want, and it will automatically shard/replicate itself between all the ES nodes. It's quite nice in that regard.

Reactions: Xon
nice.. maybe kier should fire up a few amazon ec2 instances speed up reindexing ? might as well test out elasticsearch's shard/clustering then :)

benchmarks would be nice

local instance
vs
local instance + 2x amazon ec2 nodes
vs
local instance + 4x amazon ec2 nodes

I've been running some searches on the Space Battles forum, and they all seem *vary* fast... even ones I try to intentionally made obnoxious. :)

Considering their cores are very different, it's no surprise that you would have to make alterations to your server configuration so XenForo can make the best use out of the server. There are a few larger XenForo installations that handle traffic just fine, just takes some tweaking is all.

Sorry that's what I meant. It'd be interesting to know what tweaking was required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom