What's up with Firefox again?

Luxus

Not sure when it started but firefox irregulary takes forever to load a page. I have pinpointed javascript as cause for this because when I disable javascript all is good. It doesn't happen on every site, mostly I think on news sites with lots of content. It doesn't happen here at xenforo. I haven't installed any add-ons prior to this happening. Latest firefox is installed (although it happened a version before). The error console doesn't show up anything javascript related for some reason. Browser cache is empty. Other browsers work.
Any ideas?

This happens to me as well with Firefox, often here. I initially thought it might be a virus of some kind but I ran a bunch of scans & found nothing--really seems to be an issue with Firefox but I've not been able to discover any pattern to it.

It works fine for me, but when I first open it in the morning after turning my computer on, it freezes momentarily while loading my tabs. I suspect it's either from YouTube or Facebook. It's really no big deal, though. It only takes about a few minutes for everything to get loaded, and I include the freezing in this.

Other than that and the temporary freezing from when AVG is scanning, which isn't a Mozilla Firefox issue, it works flawlessly.

FireFox is really bad. It needs massive resources and you cannot use it longer than an hour before you have to restart it. I even deactivated all plugins (flash, etc) and had no success with speeding it up.

Giving up on it. I just do not use it any more...

FireFox is really bad. It needs massive resources and you cannot use it longer than an hour before you have to restart it. I even deactivated all plugins (flash, etc) and had no success with speeding it up.

Giving up on it. I just do not use it any more...
While it is resource heavy, Chrome is too, and I've never heard your claims about having to restart it every hour.

While it is resource heavy, Chrome is too, and I've never heard your claims about having to restart it every hour.

Whereas Chrome is not perfect it uses a lot less resources compared to FireFox. At least according to my local top stats. After an hour work in Firefox I simply do not get any response from it in a timely manner.

Whereas Chrome is not perfect it uses a lot less resources compared to FireFox. At least according to my local top stats. After an hour work in Firefox I simply do not get any response from it in a timely manner.

Google Chrome actually uses a lot more memory and gave me a blue screen once while I was processing a video, which also uses a lot of memory, whereas it's never happened with Mozilla Firefox.

Google Chrome actually uses a lot more memory and gave me a blue screen once while I was processing a video, which also uses a lot of memory, whereas it's never happened with Mozilla Firefox.
"Google Chrome actually uses a lot more memory".

Orly? Chrome uses between 25% – 35% less resources for me.

We could argue about browsers all day long – the reason I use Chrome is because of the extra security it offers over other browsers and the clean UI.

"Google Chrome actually uses a lot more memory".

Orly? Chrome uses between 25% – 35% less resources for me.

We could argue about browsers all day long – the reason I use Chrome is because of the extra security it offers over other browsers and the clean UI.

With Google Chrome, when I open the task manager, there are several processes, each using a lot of memory, whereas Mozilla Firefox only has one process using less memory than those combined on Google Chrome.

Memory usage depends on several factors like addons, how long it has been running, amount of tabs, what kind of tabs you have open, etc.

I use FireFox for days at a time (or even longer, really) without any problems or restarting it and with several addons and a lot of tabs open. So if you're experiencing you need to restart it every hour, the issue most likely related to your computer, not FireFox.

With Google Chrome, when I open the task manager, there are several processes, each using a lot of memory, whereas Mozilla Firefox only has one process using less memory than those combined on Google Chrome.
There's a reason Chrome has multiple processes (http://blog.chromium.org/2008/09/multi-process-architecture.html?m=1).

Fortunately, memory isn't an issue for me (32GB) and I much prefer security over resource usage (though, Chrome uses less resources for me).

There's a reason Chrome has multiple processes (http://blog.chromium.org/2008/09/multi-process-architecture.html?m=1).

Fortunately, memory isn't an issue for me (32GB) and I much prefer security over resource usage (though, Chrome uses less resources for me).

Well, Google Chrome personally gives me more problems.

As I said in another thread, for some reason if I leave Google Chrome idle for a long time, all the tabs "freeze" or something and it take a while for things to get moving again. The only times I get unresponsiveness from Mozilla Firefox, which is always temporary, is when I'm processing and rendering videos, which is to be expected because those processes use RAM.

* sigh *

Do any of you know how many people post threads like these and almost 100% of the time the root cause is an add-on or other 3rd party program which has plugged it's self into Firefox?! A LOT.

AdBlocker Plus for example is heavy on both Firefox and Chrome if you enable all features (or if using the older version and have enabled all sources as well).

The last 2 people who told me Firefox was bad had either to many add-ons or an old add-on with so many bad reviews on it, that it was laughable. The issue was not, Firefox (same thing can happen to Chrome).

This is my current resources with 9 tabs open, while playing a YouTube video in the background. This is Firefox Nightly (trunk unstable build). I'm using virtually nothing in the way of resources.

Capture.webp

Can get the 64 bit version here if you like.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/

Top Bottom