What's the main *disadvantage* of Xenforo cloud vs self-hosting?

What he means is a backup to get the install moved to another system, which isn't allowed.
What on earth are you referring to? You ask for a copy of your backup it will be provided and you can do whatever you want with it. Move somewhere else, move to self hosted etc.

For the avoidance of doubt; 100% yes. Whether you’re going to self hosted or moving to a competitor. Whatever the reason, your files and data are yours.
Does that include things like customizations? I'm thinking forum structure, styles (I know they can be saved separately) and attachments? Just wanna double check.

Looking around the forum just now, it turns out there's an email alert issue with Cloud regarding blocked alerts from certain email providers like Hotmail / Outlook. I wasn't aware of that, so is something to bear in mind when considering Cloud.

The ability to install any add-on, not just those approved by Xenforo. In one example, I tried to install and setup the backup addon from 8wayrun for someone, but Xenforo said it was not supported. That killed the ability to make automatic daily off-site backups.
Which is the final nail for me. It may not happen often but even cloud services have been known to lose data on a permanent basis. I appreciate that backups are available on request but I suspect this is intended more for migratory purposes then an hourly belt and braces off-site backup.

I appreciate that backups are available on request but I suspect this is intended more for migratory purposes then an hourly belt and braces off-site backup.

A full backup is taken every 7 days, with an incremental backup every day between.

All backups are kept for 28 days.

Backups are stored completely off-site in a separate data centre to where the Cloud site is hosted.

A full backup is taken every 7 days, with an incremental backup every day between.

All backups are kept for 28 days.

Backups are stored completely off-site in a separate data centre to where the Cloud site is hosted.
Just a question I have no stakes in this debate but do you spot check backups for integrity? Make sure they restore and aren't corrupt?

Looking around the forum just now, it turns out there's an email alert issue with Cloud regarding blocked alerts from certain email providers like Hotmail / Outlook. I wasn't aware of that, so is something to bear in mind when considering Cloud.

Thinking about it, why don't XF offer a dedicated IP address to every customer to eliminate this blocking issue? Amazon SES does this along with DKIM and therefore has a high delivery success rate because of this. Every email got through when I used this on self hosted.

Thinking about it, why don't XF offer a dedicated IP address to every customer to eliminate this blocking issue? Amazon SES does this along with DKIM and therefore has a high delivery success rate because of this. Every email got through when I used this on self hosted.

It is not that simple.
And it would not solve the problem (most probably).

There is a separate topic for the email-related discussion?

It is not that simple.
And it would not solve the problem (most probably).

There is a separate topic for the email-related discussion?
Here's some great info about this issue:

Top Bottom