Whats the difference between vps and dedicated server, both managed?

whats the difference between vps and dedicated server, both managed?
Not all VPS' are managed, in fact many aren't.
The difference between VPS and dedicated? A dedicated server is just YOU using resources, nobody else. A VPS is still 'shared hosting', you're at the mercy of every other user on it.

whats the difference between vps and dedicated server, both managed?

You can have a managed VPS.
A VPS is a virtual dedicated server. the actual physical server is divided into 8 - 16 - 32 virtual machines and sold that way.

VPS is very easy to setup and can rival a dedicated server at a fraction of the cost.
Pick Xen Viritualization because it will allow you a full unmodified OS kernel (most providers offer Xen or OpenVZ .. so pick Xen even if it cost a bit more)

how am I at the mercy of any other user ? I run my own Kernel

Let me clear this up.

A VPS is an isolated container, sitting along other isolated containers on a node. One VPS container has the power the bring the server to a halt, if the virtualisation platform is not configured properly. (e.g overselling)

Given that a VPS is an isolated container, all it is, is a container, running its own kernel/OS with it's own system. The subsystem is shared through the virtualisation platform.

and please don't shout , and don't miss inform people.
Riiiiiiight, misinformation.
So, according to your own misinformation:
A VPS user gets their own hard drive (sorry, that's a lie)
A VPS user gets their own CPU (again, a lie)
A VPS user gets their own memory limits (that's true).
ALL it takes to kill off a VPS is a bad sector, which is very easily done.
Overloading the CPU? Oh, absolutely. What happens when said CPU is overloaded? Why EVERYONE on the VPS is slow

Who's the one spreading misinformation? certainly not me.

Get your facts straight, then post. I've been playing this game for 10+ years now, I know more than a little bit about VPS', dedicated, and shared servers

Overloading the CPU? Oh, absolutely. What happens when said CPU is overloaded? Why EVERYONE on the VPS is slow

Who's the one spreading misinformation? certainly not me.

Get your facts straight, then post. I've been playing this game for 10+ years now, I know more than a little bit about VPS', dedicated, and shared servers
To confirm, they get their own share, or the resource is shared, depending on the virtualising platform.
E.g, look at OpenVZ and Xen.

Aye, either way though,they're still using shared resources, which are easily corrupted, especially when you're looking at a number of users. They don't get dedicated hardware, which the user has a lower chance of corrupting.

To confirm, they get their own share, or the resource is shared, depending on the virtualising platform.
E.g, look at OpenVZ and Xen.

I already said XEN. no sharing anything. you get your slice of the hardware that no other slice can talk to.

Think of XEN as a BIOS that let each OS communicate with the hardware. there is no container bringing any container down. If a container dies, only that particular instance dies.
same is true for the cloud.

I think twhiting9275 has a problem with "sharing" CPU or hard drive ...etc... To save myself frustration and typing please read and inform yourself with the link I have provided

I don't think you do

Actually
1. it's a file spread across a cluster of hard drives
2. each VPS gets an assigned CPU clock 1Ghz / 2 Ghz etc ...
3. each VPS gets assigned an amount of RAM
4. huh ?
XEN viritualzation will not stretch the server. If your server can only give 2 VPSs then that's all you can do. if you can have 64 then you will get 64 VPSs

I don't think you do
Yeah, ok, right. You go on spreading your misinformation, such as:

1. it's a file spread across a cluster of hard drives
Wrong. A VPS is just a server put into containers, as explained above. Those containers SHARE RESOURCES. This includes hard drives, and no, it's not ALWAYS clustered. in fact, in most cases, not so much.
2. each VPS gets an assigned CPU clock 1Ghz / 2 Ghz etc ...
again, incorrect. jIn some cases, y es, this might be true, but overall, as a whole there is no cpu clock assigned. Again, I've been through this a number of years, and have seen the best, and the worst. On average, the answer to this is NO, this is not true.
3. each VPS gets assigned an amount of RAM
nowhere did I say any different.
and that of course proves everything right there. If you don't know what a "bad sector" is then you have no place making a comment. Just because you want to pretend that VPS is not shared hosting doesn't mean it's not, it means that you're out for pretending that it's not.

With a standard VPS, you don't get anything 'dedicated', you don't even get your own hard drive. So, by that notion, it's very easily taken down. Again, you don't understand this, that's fine,b ut stop trying to make yourself look all 'cool' by attacking other individuals that do understand how this stuff works, and have been in the business for years.

I already said XEN. no sharing anything. you get your slice of the hardware that no other slice can talk to.

Think of XEN as a BIOS that let each OS communicate with the hardware. there is no container bringing any container down. If a container dies, only that particular instance dies.
same is true for the cloud.

I think twhiting9275 has a problem with "sharing" CPU or hard drive ...etc... To save myself frustration and typing please read and inform yourself with the link I have provided

OpenVZ is different to Xen. They have a different method of virtualisation. Whilst containers may not be able to talk to each other, each platform has a different way of assigning resources, such that in OpenVZ, I believe that the resources are shared, and that overselling is possible, this is the same with Xen.

If you're saying that I am being assigned a specific share of hardware, then please do explain why I've got 8 cores to myself, at full GHz clock, whilst someone else on the server reports the same thing.

OpenVZ is different to Xen. They have a different method of virtualisation. Whilst containers may not be able to talk to each other, each platform has a different way of assigning resources, such that in OpenVZ, I believe that the resources are shared, and that overselling is possible, this is the same with Xen.

If you're saying that I am being assigned a specific share of hardware, then please do explain why I've got 8 cores to myself, at full GHz clock, whilst someone else on the server reports the same thing.

OpenVZ is different ... I have specifically said that, so we're not talking about OpenVZ here :) and that's why they are cheap ... because they squeeze the hell out of the server ... nothing stopping them

if you have 8 cores and someone else is reporting the same thing then he must have the same share as you or you guys aren't using XEN.

OpenVZ is different ... I have specifically said that, so we're not talking about OpenVZ here :) and that's why they are cheap ... because they squeeze the hell out of the server ... nothing stopping them

if you have 8 cores and someone else is reporting the same thing then he must have the same share as you or you guys aren't using XEN.
We're definately using Xen. What I'm trying to point out is that resource allocation is not always absolute, whilst some resources are allocated definately, others, such as CPU, is shared, depending on configuration. You can set each container to have 100% share of the CPU. You can still very easily oversell with Xen.

I split this off from the other more general hosting recommendations thread. People looking for general information may not be interested in these nuances.

On a personal note, our vps runs just fine and is well managed. After researching these types of things as nauseum my conclusion was the company running the vps's made all the difference... just like in all hosting.

Top Bottom