XF 2.3 What's new for developers in XenForo 2.3?

hys_9_cover.png
As promised, this week we're going to take a quick look at some of the more developer-centric changes coming in XenForo 2.3.

If a certain topic interests you more than others, click one of the links below:
Please note that the following libraries are no longer bundled with XF 2.3:
  • ccampbell/chromephp
  • doctrine/cache
  • league/flysystem-ziparchive
  • swiftmailer/swiftmailer
  • symfony/debug
  • web-token/jwt-signature-algorithm-eddsa
  • web-token/jwt-signature-algorithm-hmac
  • web-token/jwt-signature-algorithm-none
  • web-token/jwt-signature-algorithm-rsa

While we do have a little more to show you, the next couple of weeks is going to be focused on getting XenForo 2.3 ready to be installed here and some additional "Have you seen...?" posts may arrive between then and a public beta release. Until then, thanks for coming on this journey with us.

I get how conversation will become direct message, but a conversation means something different to a direct message to the extent that finding the new alternative to leave conversation is not straightforward. Leave this exchange of direct messages?
Or just "Leave this discussion?" Not quite sure why the "direct" or the "message" needs to stay in that bit. I thought the whole point was to revert to something more like what most other people are already used to from other platforms. Or do people get confused if you don't leave "message" there, too, think it's something unrelated? Seems unlikely, but okay.... :)

While we do have a little more to show you, the next couple of weeks is going to be focused on getting XenForo 2.3 ready to be installed here and some additional "Have you seen...?" posts may arrive between then and a public beta release. Until then, thanks for coming on this journey with us.
Nope.

Or just "Leave this discussion?" Not quite sure why the "direct" or the "message" needs to stay in that bit. I thought the whole point was to revert to something more like what most other people are already used to from other platforms. Or do people get confused if you don't leave "message" there, too, think it's something unrelated? Seems unlikely, but okay.... :)
Because a thread is often referred to as a discussion and there ideally needs to be a differentiation between discussion threads and private conversations made up of direct messages. People use 'message me' to mean a private or direct message.
Most of these terms are interchangeable to varying degrees. But it will be better for all forums if the terms used are standardised as then visitors will be familiar with how things work. In the same way that chain restaurants like Mc Donalds are all decorated the same so that people feel they are in a familiar environment.

People will say what they say. On social they mix it up too. Inbox me, DM me, even on sites that use a different variant. Changing to Direct Message is a good move, as, XF already calls a forum post a Message. So a "direct" message is self-explanatory. However on a lot of these sites Direct Message is used on their help and support pages, but not in the actual interface. It's too clunky. If you show the word Message with an envelope it is understood this is sending a "direct" message and not creating a post. If you look on X this is how it is done. In fact they even call it a Conversation in the support area when explaining how to delete one. It doesn't need to be so literal and say "Direct Message" everywhere it is utilized.

Last edited:
Because a thread is often referred to as a discussion and there ideally needs to be a differentiation between discussion threads and private conversations made up of direct messages. People use 'message me' to mean a private or direct message.
Most of these terms are interchangeable to varying degrees. But it will be better for all forums if the terms used are standardised as then visitors will be familiar with how things work. In the same way that chain restaurants like Mc Donalds are all decorated the same so that people feel they are in a familiar environment.
I get that you'd want something more specific to initiate a conversation/message, but it just seems to me that if you're right there on the conversation/message, and there's a link on it asking if you want to leave it, you're probably not going to think you're being given the option of leaving some other content somewhere else, no matter how it's worded, if you see what I mean. Maybe keeping "conversation" for that option would make the most sense.

Not sure that I am following the preceding discussion about the use of the term "Delete" correctly...perhaps someone can clarify?

Would the term "Delete" mean that I would be deleting a conversation from my personal mailbox only, or would it mean that the conversation would be deleted for all users in that particular conversation?

It seems to me that it would be useful for the originator of a conversation to be able to delete their own conversation for all users in that conversation. As far as I know that can't be done in XF 2.2.13 ...correct?

Not sure that I am following the preceding discussion about the use of the term "Delete" correctly...perhaps someone can clarify?

Would the term "Delete" mean that I would be deleting a conversation from my personal mailbox only, or would it mean that the conversation would be deleted for all users in that particular conversation?

It seems to me that it would be useful for the originator of a conversation to be able to delete their own conversation for all users in that conversation. As far as I know that can't be done in XF 2.2.13 ...correct?
That is a horrible thing to allow, especially if you have any form of sales or trading. If someone was able to unilaterally delete a conversation for everyone, and they then proceeded to scam someone it would leave no proof.

If someone chose to harass another member, and then deleted the conversation, it would also not leave any proof.

That is a horrible thing to allow, especially if you have any form of sales or trading. If someone was able to unilaterally delete a conversation for everyone, and they then proceeded to scam someone it would leave no proof.

If someone chose to harass another member, and then deleted the conversation, it would also not leave any proof.
It has already been clarified a few times in this thread.

You are "deleting" your copy of the conversation only.
Exactly the way email works.
OK. Thanks.

Something that could be controlled by permissions. For example, allowing the option for moderator & admins only.

Top Bottom