Whats going on around here?

It's a shame you couldn't put a simple explanation along these lines on your site to say why it had closed, instead of leaving people worrying if you had problems, then spending time messaging you to ask (and not getting a response). It's all very well asking people to "move on" but just deleting the site with no explanation and not replying to messages about it doesn't actually enable people to do that!!!
I'm often disappointed to learn that is exactly how most people close sites. No notice, no warning, and no answers.

This is why when someone looks to close a site, I hope they at least consider either giving some notice or passing it onto someone else.

Such advents have given me the opportunity to have taken over several other communities over the years (sometimes merging them into site and sometimes leaving them to stand on their own).

At least this way community members don't feel abandon. And they're given a chance to continue their friendships either on that site or else where. Rather than being left in the cold.

I guess its a personal preference

A few more xF licenses purchased, modifications purchased from developers hee, a few site started from it, more noticing modifications posted here, etc.
Which, by this account, it had value and provided benefit?

Either way, let's move on.
Why did it just disappear on a whim notice or reason? Suggest there's something more to it. Copyright demands because you were illegally ripping some one off causing immediate closure without notice? Petulant schoolboy taking his bat and ball and going home because some hurt someones feelings? Unable to work together and cohesively on the project and a member pulled the plug an dthe others have thrown in the towel? Expected it to become the fork/replacement for xenforo.com if it was handed to Jellsoft, and now with that resolved its time to pull the plug?

It was given a big hooray and promotion, flogged to death, and huge big sell of why everyone had to go there. And then it was just switched off, with no warning or apparent reason. Moving on, my takeaway is that it says more about the honour and trustworthiness of those involved than anything else I guess.

This is why when someone looks to close a site, I hope they at least consider either giving some notice or passing it onto someone else.

Yes - of all the things said about Floris at least he gave lots of notice when Xenfans closed.

I do feel Xenforo needs a good third party site, Xenfans was a brilliant resource until it closed. XFShowcase had so much promise. I'm just disappointed it didn't work out, but then again, I have now moved on ;) I think we should still acknowledge the time/work/money that he put into it, I respect that, just wish it had closed a bit more gracefully.

I guess we'll have to wait until someone else feels the urge to start a new community.

A few more xF licenses purchased, modifications purchased from developers hee, a few site started from it, more noticing modifications posted here, etc.

Either way, let's move on.

Why not let someone take it over? I'd be happy to move it over to my server, move the site to a spare license of mine and continue it. Many people dedicated a lot of time into it. As for the add-ons in use, I had the same idea shortly before xFS launched and was given the ok by many premium mod developers to extend my current licenses to another copy for my planned site. So the add ons wouldn't be an issue either. If not, I'll move forward now with this community plan I started shortly before xFS launched.

I do feel Xenforo needs a good third party site
xenforo.com ?;)
In the past, i thought that a 3rd party page for free addons and tutorials would be a good idea too, BUT it's not working (just check the history)
Why not use xenforo.com and the RM? People wanted it, people got it:)
No need to register on dozen other pages, no need for account validation(I still think that it was a good idea from stewart, but it didn't work:/ ) No "risk" that it closes in the future and everything is lost...

As some know I was staring xenUnity right before xFS launched. If Sheldon doesn't agree to my request to let me continue xFS, it will be live soon with several new robust features no other admin type community offers currently :)

xenforo.com ?;)
In the past, i thought that a 3rd party page would be a good idea too, BUT it's not working (just check the history)
No need to register on dozen other pages, no need for account validation(I still think that it was a good idea from stewart, but it didn't work:/ ) No "risk" that it closes in the future and everything is lost...
There's no place like localhost, eh? ;)

Must have missed XenAdmins - cheers for the heads up guys!

xf_phantom - I know where you're coming from, but I think one of the good things about a third party site is it's NOT the official company site. Sometimes this allows for more open and flexible discussion, especially with reference to competing products.

xenforo.com ?;)
In the past, i thought that a 3rd party page for free addons and tutorials would be a good idea too, BUT it's not working (just check the history)
Because it's nice to have a place not affiliated with XenForo where our threads won't get closed as easily and we can have a little bit more freedom of speech, within reason.

The only downside about Xfshowcase.com that I can recall was the level of negativity that was allowed.

There was a user there (no names) that was allowed (sometimes encouraged) to say a lot of negative things about some respected & active members. I recall some not so nice things said about Shelley, Mike Edge, Chris Deeming, DRE, even KAM, and others.

That is what made me lose interest there.

Whatever takes its place... I hope does allow for more freedom of speech, but does so in such a manner as not to allow others to trash talk individuals for their enjoyments & pleasure.

Just my 2 cents.

Which, by this account, it had value and provided benefit?

Why did it just disappear on a whim notice or reason? Suggest there's something more to it. Copyright demands because you were illegally ripping some one off causing immediate closure without notice? Petulant schoolboy taking his bat and ball and going home because some hurt someones feelings? Unable to work together and cohesively on the project and a member pulled the plug an dthe others have thrown in the towel? Expected it to become the fork/replacement for xenforo.com if it was handed to Jellsoft, and now with that resolved its time to pull the plug?

It was given a big hooray and promotion, flogged to death, and huge big sell of why everyone had to go there. And then it was just switched off, with no warning or apparent reason. Moving on, my takeaway is that it says more about the honour and trustworthiness of those involved than anything else I guess.

I didn't disappear. I closed a site. By my choosing. Sorry, but you will have to deal with that. I'm not required to tell why, to outline anything, etc. I had my time with it, and I was done. Simple as that. I had other projects I wanted to spend my time on, as well as some other personal things that I needed to tend to. It happens, its life. I've learned to accept it.

As far as you even suggesting I was illegally ripping someone off is amusing.

As I stated many times, xFS was only a place to hang out. When it was created, the status of XF was up in the air. The moderation here at the time was very... random... shall we say. I made it to get developers add-ons noticed, and allow people a place to test these modifications in a central location. Nothing more. No underhand deals, no money exchanged, nothing. I spent more than I really needed to on a site that was nothing more than a hobby. A fork or replacement? ME? Hahahaha. I can't code. Where would that have ever been suggested, or even "put out there". Once the status of XF was resolved and apparent, then the future of xFS was already determined. I knew that, and I am sure others knew that.

Regardless, it met my goals I wanted. I wanted developers work to be noticed (check), developers work to be purchased (check).

I am not interested in doing anything else with xFS. It will not be opened again, it will not be sold, it will not be merged.

I'm okay with you not liking me, with you not thinking I have "honour or trustworthiness".

I'm sorry there isn't some illegal type of answer that I can give you to make you happy. Again, its just time for me to move on. If you can't accept that, my apologies in advance.

The only downside about Xfshowcase.com that I can recall was the level of negativity that was allowed.

There was a user there (no names) that was allowed (sometimes encouraged) to say a lot of negative things about some respected & active members. I recall some not so nice things said about Shelley, Mike Edge, Chris Deeming, DRE, even KAM, and others.

That is what made me lose interest there.

Whatever takes its place... I hope does allow for more freedom of speech, but does so in such a manner as not to allow others to trash talk individuals for their enjoyments & pleasure.

Just my 2 cents.
Talking about vVv? :LOL:

Bummer on xFS going away. Some good folks there (which are here too but still...). ;)

My favorite area was the Showcase because it was a nice resource to steal... uh... be inspired by other xF sites. It would be a nice addition here.

I think XenAdmins.com has that feature going.
Showcase is installed, but originally it was installed for me to style because xFS covered all that side of things. If you're sure you aren't bringing xFS back then I'm happy to make the showcase an integral part of the site. I miss xFS :(

I really wish someone with the right temperament to run a 3rd part site would take it up. By the way Stew talked about wanting to give it all up within days of opening after a bit of criticism on here it was obvious it wouldn't last long. Same with Floris, another great guy who'd set up a very good site, just not the right temperament when there's criticism/drama.

Top Bottom