What'd You Do If An Elderly Relative Insults You?

Until now, I used to take pride in my quick-wit & sarcasm which is quite an awesome way of insulting people back if they insult you. I've decided to change and be a nicer guy. However, recently, I was insulted by an elderly relative. While I chained my wit and sarcasm from giving them a 'once in a lifetime' experience which would make them sleepless for several days; I decided to play it cool.

I wish to hear your experiences and how'd you deal with insult from and elder person who's related to you. :)

In my experience, its best to ignore them - I live near loads of elderly people... I find if you ignore them it hurts them more as they try to upset you and if you ignore them they would think, its not bothering him and they would stop.

I'm not completely heartless, heh, I just don't think people who go out of their way to be rude and disrespectful, deserve my compassion or care. :(
unfortunately....those people are the ones who can benefit from compassion, and helping them helps everyone that they effect.

unfortunately....those people are the ones who can benefit from compassion, and helping them helps everyone that they effect.
Some of them are just hopeless though, and you can't let them be rude to you / insult you forever en stay nice. Some people are just ass***** unfortunately, even on these forums. But in some cases, yes, being nice when they are not can make a change.

Some of them are just hopeless though, and you can't let them be rude to you / insult you forever en stay nice. Some people are just ass***** unfortunately. But in some cases, yes, being nice when they are not can make a change.

I agree and wont lie....there is a few older people that I think need an attitude change...but I over time came to the conclusion that the super rude old people who stare at you like you have crap in the corner of your mouth....are not that way because they are old....most of them were probably of the same attitude when they were a bit younger....over time problems mount and maybe it is really just them upset with themselves knowing they have no time to correct all their mistakes. Old people were our age too at a different point in time.

I could tell an anecdote (but i'll spare everyone) of a family member who most would say after meeting him...well...that he is an ass. The last words he ever spoke to me proved that I was the ass if I believed that. I would have never known that and I would have lost a valuable lesson had I written him off as just being an old guy.

Life is complicated to the point where there is no universal truth to the original question in the OP but I have seen both sides of things....old people that are misunderstood, and old people taking advantage of the fact that they are old. Again though it is no different than people of any other age...they were and always were people and people will continue to do the things they do until they die.

I will tell you this though and I promise it works....when someone (old or young) tries to slight you or insult you...just uncontrollably laugh in their face...and then walk away.

Until now, I used to take pride in my quick-wit & sarcasm which is quite an awesome way of insulting people back if they insult you. I've decided to change and be a nicer guy. However, recently, I was insulted by an elderly relative. While I chained my wit and sarcasm from giving them a 'once in a lifetime' experience which would make them sleepless for several days; I decided to play it cool.

I wish to hear your experiences and how'd you deal with insult from and elder person who's related to you. :)

What exactly was the insult? I am an old guy, maybe I can give an old guy rural perspective.

Oh, lay off them. They are just envious of us young, virile folk :D
No, they aren't envious. Its disappointment. Youth is wasted on the young. Think I'm wrong? Its always been that way. As the Christmas Season begins, you'll have the chance to watch "It's a Wonderful Life". George Bailey is walking Mary home after the dance. Then comes the whole "roping the moon" dialog exchange. Pay attention to what the old guy on the porch says.

I will challenge half of these young virile folk to a 100 mile race carrying a 50 pound backpack, or we could do a climbing contest, maybe a wrestling match :). Oh, I'm a geezer by the way. :p
I don't really know how 'young' I am considered but I am more than willing to suck wind :-) I got an idea...let's do a climb with that 50 lbs backpack and have a wrestling/grappling/open hand combat match...Loser carries both bags back :-)

I don't really know how 'young' I am considered but I am more than willing to suck wind :) I got an idea...let's do a climb with that 50 lbs backpack and have a wrestling/grappling/open hand combat match...Loser carries both bags back :)

Sure, the condition is you have to be one of those young virile folk that SchmitzIT mentioned that us old people envious of. :P

Sure, the condition is you have to be one of those young virile folk that SchmitzIT mentioned that us old people envious of. :p

:ROFLMAO: LOL ...trust me when I say....no one should be envious of me...the only condition I have goes on after shampoo. LOL, 'look I am the age bracket's middle class ...no one cares' :ROFLMAO:

Out of curiosity, what age would you consider to be young and virile?

Well, it is not my definition, it was what ever age group that SchmitzIT was talking about when he made this post. :D

I have seen what kind of condition many people are in nowdays and I am always up for a challenge :) Some of us old folk are spunky still.

Oh, lay off them. They are just envious of us young, virile folk :D

I am 50 so I am guessing a handful of people will be a little miffed that I called myself a geezer.

Like someone else mentioned, there may be things going on that you (the one insulted) may not be aware of...

Dementia/Alzheimer's/Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus all are invisible diseases but can cause serious changes in personality. So much so that the person you knew is no longer the one in front of you. They may resemble the person you knew but they have changed and usually without their consent.

I do stand up for myself but I also try to be aware of the health of the person talking.

25. Just like yours truly...

No, they aren't envious. Its disappointment. Youth is wasted on the young. Think I'm wrong? Its always been that way. As the Christmas Season begins, you'll have the chance to watch "It's a Wonderful Life". George Bailey is walking Mary home after the dance. Then comes the whole "roping the moon" dialog exchange. Pay attention to what the old guy on the porch says.

Haven't see that, but I tend to agree. Looking back at my teenage years (those were just yesterday, I swear!) there's so much more I could have done and achieved.

I will challenge half of these young virile folk to a 100 mile race carrying a 50 pound backpack, or we could do a climbing contest, maybe a wrestling match :). Oh, I'm a geezer by the way. :p

You're on gramps! I'm sure that despite my car being old, it can do 100 miles with a 50 pound backpack in the back seat easily :D

Now that is simply cheating.

Quoteth Al Bundy: "It's only cheating if you get caught" :D

I simply cannot run, though. Never been any good at that for some reason. I'm fast, but have zero endurance on it. However, if you're up for some biking exercise, that, I could do.

Top Bottom