1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you charge...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Slavik, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

To convert PSD to wordpress?

I've been looking around and for some reason I have like 7 customers wanting me to convert them from a provided PSD to wordpress design. Now I don't consider my prices "cheap" but something must be up when all of a sudden i've gone from 1 a month to 7 in the space of 3 weeks?

2. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

$75-150.

3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

would some PSD to Wordpress designs be easy ? and some hard ?

4. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

I'd figure out the typical hours required for an average graphics person to do it....and then use $50 an hour or so.

Better yet, have a relatively low standard price for those who don't need a lot of support and who are relatively non-commercial (don't make a living or large $$ off their blog) and then a "by the job" price for those who want/need a bit more hand holding and support.

Some people will take your first try and say "fine", others will make you tweak it over and over!

You could also give a price for "up to 3 hours, typical job) and then say "cost plus" for extra tweaking. When people know this they tend to approve the first or second draft.

5. Syndol

Syndol Guest

I wish I could charge $50 an hour. I don't even make minimum wage ($10 an hour) on my add-ons and custom work.

6. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

Give it time, grasshopper!

If you are not making $10 an hour for custom work, you need change things. $20 or so an hour should be the very minimum if you are just fooling around (young or doing it for enjoyment/learning/etc. on the side), and $35 to $50 is closer to the mark.

If you make a good add-on(s), then when XF has 10X as many buyers, you should make 10X as much money for the same code.

A lot of this stuff work on a principle called "value added". The add-on writers who produce great stuff but may be here today and gone tomorrow will not earn as much as a developer who puts together a bit more of a serious long-term effort. An example is with the CMS I have been using, EE. A developer group called Solspace gets top dollar for their add-ons because they have a commitment to be here as the years go by.

But that's probably fodder for another thread....

Still, when it comes to this PSD stuff, there is a fair amount of value in it. The design will likely be used for years, so to the client it should seem reasonable.