what type of flash?

physicspirate

So i've been taking alot of photos recently, and there are times when it would be nice to use a flash. Some of my pictures turn out really grainy in the low light, and I find using the stock flash on my camera makes everything look like its in a hospital, or people are sick looking(maybe they actually are sick?).

The camera I use is a Canon rebel T3i, with the stock lens, and I play around with a standard 50mm lens as well. I'm just looking for a bit of extra warm light to take the grains out, maybe even just reduce them as much as possible, on a lower price point.

Any ideas?

So i've been taking alot of photos recently, and there are times when it would be nice to use a flash. Some of my pictures turn out really grainy in the low light, and I find using the stock flash on my camera makes everything look like its in a hospital, or people are sick looking(maybe they actually are sick?).
Did you try to play with the white balance settings?

I don't know this camera but the automatic white balance is not always the best choice, especially for flash exposures.

A quick google check for the T3i revealed:
Cons
[...]
Auto White Balance struggles in most indoor lighting conditions--a traditional Canon weakness

As for a good external flash - I'm not a Canon guy, so I cannot comment on this.

Did you try to play with the white balance settings?

I don't know this camera but the automatic white balance is not always the best choice, especially for flash exposures.

A quick google check for the T3i revealed:

As for a good external flash - I'm not a Canon guy, so I cannot comment on this.

Yeah, I've been leaving it on AWB, but have been touching them up in lightroom. Its probably better to get the balance correct in the photo instead of trying to touch it up after.

Kier would probably be good to answer this.

Yeah, he takes really good pictures. Saw a few of them from a post he pointed us to, they were pretty nice.

Built in flashes are generally quite poor and you are very limited as to what you can achieve with them.

Get yourself a Canon (or another make) flash which fits on the hotshoe, also make sure you get a diffuser for it.

A separate flash will allow you to angle the head so you can bounce the flash off the ceiling, etc. and the diffuser will help to mute the harsh light.

Depending on the type of photography you do, you may even want to look at investing in a completely external flash set up with reflectors (gold reflectors will give you warmer tones for example), etc.

Seeing you have a 50mm lens you don't need anything super strong but I would advise a bounce-head flash to take off any shadows. I don't know how much money you are willing to spend but I think the 430 EXII is an excellent all rounder. Models lower than the 430 do not have a rotating bounce head, so you are stuck with a powerful straight on flash, which is not always a nice look.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Speedlite-II-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001CCAISE

We talked about Canon announcing new cheaper flashes but I dont think they are out yet (sorry, shameless plugging) : http://www.pixelatedphotographer.com/forums/index.php?threads/canon-announce-new-set-of-flashes.290/

I bought a flash for my Canon but didn't want to spend too much, as I don't use it that often, I got a Canon Speedlite 270EX and am very pleased with it. Powerful enough for general use and has a head that can be rotated up to bounce off the ceiling.

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'm going to get the 430EXII with that diffuser. I don't really have a style of photography, just point and shoot, but right now I've just been taking pictures of the new baby around the house. Hopefully that flash will make the pictures alot nicer in the low light.

Another option is to invest in a fast lens, which will negate the need for a flash a lot of the time when shooting in low light.

A lot of people rate the Canon F1.8 II 50mm very highly (especially for portraits); it costs around £80.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-50-1-8-Lens/dp/B00005K47X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314807677&sr=8-1

I have that lens, I can't recommend it enough for the price. I thought I'd be getting something quite naff at that price but it has proved to be one of the sharpest lenses I've got, and with such a wide aperture as Brogan says you can get some amazing handheld shots with a high ISO setting and no flash. It's also very good for close up shots.

Top Bottom