What type of permissions and access do you need to create an Add-on?

xIsabel38

So I have a team looking into the total rewrite of an Add-on I purchased here and they have done work on vBulletin before, but they are also asking for some information which I'm not entirely sure they need. So I figured I'd ask you guys since you guys are more of the XF Experts around here.

When you're creating an Add-on what sort of permissions do you need? Obviously you need an admin account, but what about FTP access or even the database user and password?

Seems weird to me that I would be asked for the Database User and Password for rewriting an Add-on thus, I'm here asking you guys if this is normal.

An add-on developer may need access to some or all of the following:
  • ACP
  • FTP
  • Server
  • Database
It depends on the nature of the add-on.

So I have a team looking into the total rewrite of an Add-on I purchased here and they have done work on vBulletin before, but they are also asking for some information which I'm not entirely sure they need. So I figured I'd ask you guys since you guys are more of the XF Experts around here.

When you're creating an Add-on what sort of permissions do you need? Obviously you need an admin account, but what about FTP access or even the database user and password?

Seems weird to me that I would be asked for the Database User and Password for rewriting an Add-on thus, I'm here asking you guys if this is normal.

As Brogran said above it really depends on the nature of the add on. If you want the developer to use your test installation to code the mod then they would need the above mentioned info especially if the mod is big and it adds to/modifies the database.

That being said, usually the mod authors code the mods in their own test/dev environment. All you can do then is install them yourself. That way you will avoid giving out the info.

Top Bottom