What to get in VPS hosting?

Matt51723

So I'm going to get VPS hosting for my site, only thing is I don't really know what to look for in VPS hosting.
For my site I'm pretty sure I only need 512mb ram. But I'm not sure what to choose for the OS. I'm assuming CentOS is what I should go with because I always see that but I just want to make sure. Also I'm definitely going to go with a control panel, is DirectAdmin good?
Also the majority of my users live in the US, however we do have a good amount in the UK and theres two options for Datacenters. one in Los Angeles and one in Manchester, should I just go with the US one or does it not really matter?

Depends in how much money you have to spend per month but a good idea would to buy one with more than one CPU... Depends how big your website is really on the VPS specs.

Mine is a small board at present and the host I use now give good VPS specs at a good price.

You should check out Linode.com.

I have been with them for a couple of years. Their control console, flexibility, and support are exceptional.

Unless you have a very busy forum the $20 512 should be adequate. If it turns out that you need more resources, you can upgrade seamlessly in less than a minute.

Jeff

I use Neosurge for my hosting and they have some killer VPS deals. What I like about them is they have options of two fast hosting options in Chicago and California and a boatload of different linux options. For the most part, once you're set up the administration is pretty easy unless you really need something like CPanel to make it easier to handle much of the back end. I know that they have a bare bones $10 VPS and some other options that are pretty sweet. Upgrading is easy. Most important is check reliability before you make the move.

Linode here too, though if you are an utter noob then it may be an uphill struggle a little (as it was with me recently) because they are literally bare boxes in which you put stuff onto. Many people said that the community there was 'superb', but I found it quite quiet and found most of my answers elsewhere.

Though the speed of Linode is just so gawd-dang-good!

Top Bottom