What to enter for my domain in the registration

vicos

I just purchased a license and I am being asked to enter a domain before I can download. So, here is my scenario.

--- Currently running vB v4 at forums.xxx.com (nor the real domain, for example only)

--- After upgrade to Xenforo, will be at same domain, forums.xxx.com

--- I need to setup a test instance first to test the import and other configuration, style changes, etc. ... probably at xentest.xxx.com

QUESTIONS:

1) what do I specify as my domain so I can download the code?

2) After I get the production system up and running at forums.xxx.com, may I leave the xentest.xxx.com running (as long as the site is password protected from the public)? It is always nice to be able to test updates and addons before installing them on the production server.

You may enter your real forum domain there, it has nothing to do with the forum setup nor functionality.

So,

1. Enter your forum url;
  2. You can leave "xentest" copy for testing purposes.

Actually, going forward, we now require the actual URL where XF will be installed to be listed against the license.

If it's currently in a test phase, you can enter that URL and update it later once it is moved.

Regarding permanent test sites, you would need to have something like "test", "staging", "dev" in the URL and it be on the same domain (either a sub domain or directory).

Regarding permanent test sites, you would need to have something like "test", "staging", "dev" in the URL and it be on the same domain (either a sub domain or directory).

Does this apply to dev installations as well? Does it need to be a real (ie routable) domain?

I have multiple instances of XF running on domains like xf15.local, xf2.local, xf21.local on multiple local VMware servers.

Just so I am crystal clear, forumtest.xxx.com or testforum.xxx.com would be OK? We already have test.xxx.com in use for something else.

He already gave you a list of names to use. It is ok.
I was addressing this to Brogan or someone who works for Xenforo. The specific point being does "test", "staging", "dev" in the URL mean can those be a substring or the subdomain, i.e. testforum.xxx.com or does one of the strings listed need to be the entire subdomain, e.g. test.xxx.com. If this is checked by software, then there are very specific rules which are not immediately clear. If it just needs to be obvious to one of the Xenforo staff when reviewing the url, that is something different.

Last edited:
Actually, going forward, we now require the actual URL where XF will be installed to be listed against the license.

If it's currently in a test phase, you can enter that URL and update it later once it is moved.

If the URL doesn't match a license, will the install still proceed?

Top Bottom