What theme is IGN Boards running?

Apokalupsis

http://www.ign.com/boards/

They are using XF. I like the theme, but would do a little bit of tweaking for my own personal community. Is that a theme that they customized themselves? Or is it based off of something similar here, that has already been done by our theme modders?

They customized the default xenforo theme, mostly to match their old boards My style is also a customized version of the default xenforo theme to match my old vBulletin 4 board. Xenforo Style Properties is very flexible. I prefer it to vBulletins.

Also, what is the portal system they are using? Is that XenPorta or something else? If so, is XenPorta easily customizable? I really dislike the demo site for it, but I like the layout of IGN's CMS (looks more professional, clean, organized).

http://www.ign.com/

IGN is a massive, multi-million (billion?) dollar business. Their main website will either be powered by something written for them or something extremely expensive.

I think it's fairly safe to say that IGN's site does not run entirely on XenForo. Only the forum portion uses XF.

I think it's fairly safe to say that IGN's site does not run entirely on XenForo. Only the forum portion uses XF.
... and they have done some slight tweaks to their XF installation. Mike Tougeron is the IGN XF Admin' here in the forums and searching his posts you can see some of the code changes they've done.

Well...that particular style is what I prefer nd have been looking for in an XF community. Does anyone know of a WP and XF style that is similar to what IGN is using?

Again, they're a multi-million dollar business. They're not going to use some free style they found on the internet. It will have been custom made for them.

Most of the styles available can be found here: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/styles.29/

There won't be anything there that looks like IGN, but you might be able to find something else you like, or use a downloaded style as a starting point for a new one. Also if you have a budget, you might find someone who can make something exactly to your sepcification here: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/third-party-service-offers.42/

I like when hovering over the boards tab, you can see the forums and select them :)
I like that too - I looked a long time ago at how they might have done it so I could release it as an add-on. Never did work it out but I didn't spend too much time on it. It's on my ever growing list of things to look into ;)

That was weird, I was just browsing their board and all of a sudden received a 'Your IP address has been banned' message. A few click later back to normal o_O

Not to diminish anything they have done there, but there really isn't anything all that unique about their design or navigation. The boards tab would be very easy to achieve.

I agree.

And not to knock it either but i think some folks have fallen into this concept that when a bigboard make some changes it somehow translates to earth shattering unique changes they've made. When the simple fact it's not. There's some nice alterations don't get me wrong but the extensive alterations that people think have been made don't really exist.

I think once and if digitalpoint moves to xf we'll be seeing some extensive changes and would serve as a good example and guideline on how a board can be extensively altered.

Not to diminish anything they have done there, but there really isn't anything all that unique about their design or navigation. The boards tab would be very easy to achieve.
It isn't about it being unique or innovating that I like. It's about the clean, modern look. I'm aware of the styles offered here at XF...but I'm unaware of anything being offered (free or paid) that is similar to IGN's. And it is something similar to IGN's that I'm after.

I like that too - I looked a long time ago at how they might have done it so I could release it as an add-on. Never did work it out but I didn't spend too much time on it. It's on my ever growing list of things to look into ;)

My portal pretty much killed the forums. It's not necessarily a bad thing but I want my members use more the forums. The Boards menu looks like a good tool fa solution :)

It isn't about it being unique or innovating that I like. It's about the clean, modern look. I'm aware of the styles offered here at XF...but I'm unaware of anything being offered (free or paid) that is similar to IGN's. And it is something similar to IGN's that I'm after.

You could do the style yourself in ~2 hours, more depending on familiarity with the style properties (This is obviously excluding mods or things changed in the core software).

Top Bottom