What shold be in the forum software and what should be an add on?

jonsidneyb

As I look around I can see that many people want different things in the software.

There are some things that are very popular with some people and not that popular with others. I can see some features that it looks like half the people would want while others couldn't care less about.

I think it is fair to say that what many of us want is all over the map.

Not being a coder I don't know how hard all of this is.

I do think there are features that absolutely make sense to be built into the software itself. I am guessing there are some features it possibly does not matter if it is built in or is a plug in. Maybe somethings should only be a plug in. Some people might not ever have some features that they would never use on their server.

let me if what I suggest is completely off base as I am not a coder.

Here is how the download area might be someday.

( ) xenForo forum software {all the things that should be in the basic forum software itself}

Items that licensed owners of xenForo can download with the software or come back and get at a later date.

( ) Doohicky
( ) Thingamajig
( ) What not

Items that licensed owners can purchase with xenForo software or can be purchased by licensed owners at a later date.

( ) Ewok $29.95
( ) Tarter Sauce $129.95
( ) Blender $49.95
------------------------------------------------------

I am wondering if this approach can let us have more streamlined boards by only having what we need loaded and if we change our minds we can come back and get it?

It also might take off some of the pressure on some of the development of the basic software.

I don't know.

I am not sure it could be handled any other way. They stated that the forum would come first, and other things later. Ala cart (sp?) would be simply decided by whatever business model they choose.

Although the tarter sauce does look a bit pricey :p

I was thinking some things in later releases might be added to the forum itself that I would prefer to be in a plug in. :)

Possibly, or version 2 might have more features than version 1.

It will affect tech support if there are multiple things to download/install compared to simply disabling things not of interest, at least I would think that would be the case.

It would be ideal to be able to pick and choose what's installed, but as you said there may be issues with that from a tech perspective.

I guess it depends on what the developers are going for - is it meant to be forum software, or as someone said in another thread (I apologize for not remembering who) is it a user management system with the different features as addons (blog, CMS, forum). I think if it's forum software, that's what you should get as the main chunk and then everything else an addon of some type.

:)

Put it this way: What suits the majority should be included by default (standard functions expected in all forums) and things that suit the minority or things that would be easy to make as an add-on (such as a dislike feature) should be addons.

Personally, I find some things more suited for an add-on. I'll make the point from another thread (in reply to Onimua): Podcasting capabilities being default is a waste of time, I've never seen a site use that. If it won't be widely used, it should be an add-on. Official or not, doesn't matter to me. Keep popular features there in default, rest is add-ons. That's how I feel it should be.

I never figured out how it was different from just posting a thread with the link to your podcast lol - but then again, I didn't really care enough to spend much time on it lol

I think most of the stuff like template preferences and design things (like that image for new post request that occured a while back) can be modded by the user themselves and the developers should only be concerned with the bare minimum. Things like that can end up pleasing X and not Y. All the devs need to do is see if it makes sense.

That is one of the biggest mistakes vBulletin made and i don't want to see xF make the same mistake.

Stay away from the simple template design requests and the please add option X but put a button so those that don't want it can turn it off in the admincp requests and this will be a nice streamlined product.

I agree, the only excess clutter I want it to have is the excess clutter I feel I need. I have many of the features are plug in so some can be discarded easily.

I think it is the easiest way to please the most people, by being modular. I hope this suggestion happens.

Top Bottom