What part of NO PAYPAL do you not understand?

Adam Howard

I'm very anti - paypal. Which says a lot as I used to be a very pro paypal user. Indeed I had a premier business account with paypal for 5 years. I was a power seller on eBay with a 100% positive rating. Thousands of dollars would pass through my account without any issue and the service seemed very easy to use. I even had their paypal visa debit card.

And of course I was such a pro paypal supporter, that any time someone said paypal had "screwed" them. I couldn't imagine them being completely honest and just assumed they were full of **** and had something stupid or illegal. After all, I did have a business account with them for 5 years and passed thousands of dollars with them monthly, sometimes even weekly.

So when some lucky buyer bought something from me on eBay for 99 cents and my account ended up frozen, because their account (not mine) was fraudulent. I was a little in disbelief, but figured this would be an easy matter to resolve. I never imagined they would keep all my money and treat me as though I wasn't a person or someone who had not a single right in the world.

So what really ended up happening was that I ended up having to sue paypal and it took years to get my money, which they kept frozen and kept collecting interest on.

So when I tell someone NOT to send me anything through paypal and I STRESS that I can not accept anything or send anything through paypal... Why is that so hard to understand?

I recently was hired to help someone to install something on their site. We agreed 1/2 now and 1/2 later. I explained before to this person that IF I agreed to do this, we would need to use Google Checkout and I explained to this person that I DO NOT accept paypal. They agreed and I sent them an invoice though Google Checkout.....

What did they do?

They used the e-mail from my invoice, from Google Checkout, and sent me payment via paypal. Of course I told them I wouldn't be able to do the job, as I never got payment (send it to my e-mail and it ends up in paypal's "black whole"). He got pissed and I guess tried to cancel his payment. Now he is mad that paypal has frozen his account, claiming fraud. And some how thinks this is my fault.

Why don't people listen?

Major bummer man.

So I presume when you contacted paypal, they told you something? Your story just jumps to the point where you sue them and no details about the interaction prior that.

Do paypal have any redflags one can watch for before getting 'frozen' ?

That's too bad.
Definitely a case of not listening.
But definitely no excuse, as I'm sure your "No Paypal" request was bolded.
:)
Out of sight, out of mind.... kind of blocked (out of mind).

I tried warning him that I do not use paypal and that I can not accept payments through paypal and that I only use Google Checkout. He agreed and so I sent him an invoice.... Guess some people just want to hear or believe what they want to hear or believe. And clearly this person didn't want to hear or believe me.

Sucks to be him.

Seems like he made an honest mistake.
You should have sent the digital invoice with a Google Checkout link in it.
Hopefully the invoice itself said "No Paypal". (nothing like a last minute reminder !).

Major bummer man.

So I presume when you contacted paypal, they told you something? Your story just jumps to the point where you sue them and no details about the interaction prior that.

Do paypal have any redflags one can watch for before getting 'frozen' ?
My 1st red flag, from my own opinion... You're using paypal. Red flag. Period. :P

But all seriousness and joking aside......

I didn't talk to much about my paypal history in this post, because I only added it to express how much I dislike and distrust paypal and why.

But the full story about me suing them is thus (short version)

1) Had high standing business account for 5 years. No issues at all.
2) First and only issue is someone who had a fraudulent account (not me), purchased something from me
3) This cancelled the sale and revered the charge
4) Through this action, my account was frozen (only explanation I ever was given was #3)
5) Account stayed frozen and was given the run around for over a year
6) Sued paypal
7) ???
8) Profit

Seems like he made an honest mistake.
You should have sent the digital invoice with a Google Checkout link in it.
Hopefully the invoice itself said "No Paypal". (nothing like a last minute reminder !).
I explained to him in a PM that I do not accept payment from paypal and asked if he could use Google Checkout.

He said, yes.

I sent the invoice through Google Checkout (just like you can send an invoice using paypal).

He got my e-mail from the Google Checkout invoice, which has a link in it and a button (just like paypal).

He proceeded to ignore the invoice, log into his paypal account, and send the funds.

Mistake? No. Stupid is as stupid does.

I'm very anti - paypal. Which says a lot as I used to be a very pro paypal user. Indeed I had a premier business account with paypal for 5 years. I was a power seller on eBay with a 100% positive rating. Thousands of dollars would pass through my account without any issue and the service seemed very easy to use. I even had their paypal visa debit card.

And of course I was such a pro paypal supporter, that any time someone said paypal had "screwed" them. I couldn't imagine them being completely honest and just assumed they were full of **** and had something stupid or illegal. After all, I did have a business account with them for 5 years and passed thousands of dollars with them monthly, sometimes even weekly.

So when some lucky buyer bought something from me on eBay for 99 cents and my account ended up frozen, because their account (not mine) was fraudulent. I was a little in disbelief, but figured this would be an easy matter to resolve. I never imagined they would keep all my money and treat me as though I wasn't a person or someone who had not a single right in the world.

So what really ended up happening was that I ended up having to sue paypal and it took years to get my money, which they kept frozen and kept collecting interest on.

So when I tell someone NOT to send me anything through paypal and I STRESS that I can not accept anything or send anything through paypal... Why is that so hard to understand?

I recently was hired to help someone to install something on their site. We agreed 1/2 now and 1/2 later. I explained before to this person that IF I agreed to do this, we would need to use Google Checkout and I explained to this person that I DO NOT accept paypal. They agreed and I sent them an invoice though Google Checkout.....

What did they do?

They used the e-mail from my invoice, from Google Checkout, and sent me payment via paypal. Of course I told them I wouldn't be able to do the job, as I never got payment (send it to my e-mail and it ends up in paypal's "black whole"). He got pissed and I guess tried to cancel his payment. Now he is mad that paypal has frozen his account, claiming fraud. And some how thinks this is my fault.

Why don't people listen?
Create the following account: "Mr. DoNot F. Paypalme" <usegooglecheckoutonly@sociallyuncensored.eu>

Problem solved.

I think the issue was his account was once considered fraudulent and due to his law suit they're probably treating him unfairly. SOOO when another user sent money they froze his account again and froze the payee's account too. IE making his life hell like as much as they legally(illegally) can.

I am confused, Paypal will let people send you money to your account even if it is frozen?
Not only will they keep the money, if you try to claim it back from MY account... Expect to see your account have issues.

Don't believe?

PHP:
old school dsl AT gmail DOT com

If you like your paypal account .... I wouldn't if I were you

I think the issue was his account was once considered fraudulent and due to his law suit they're probably treating him unfairly. SOOO when another user sent money they froze his account again and froze the payee's account too. IE making his life hell like as much as they legally(illegally) can.
My account was never fraudulent.

A few years ago someone who had a fraudulent account, purchased something from me. This ended up freezing my account (Don't ask why. I never found out even when suing them)

After winning and getting my money, the account remain forever frozen ... Which it was any ways.

Along comes this guy. I tell him to send me funds using Google Checkout. He agrees. I send him an invoice though Google Checkout.

He decides to do something stupid and send the money via paypal

Of course my account is still a "black whole" (sort of speak. Money can go in, but never come out).

He tries to reverse the charge.

His account is now frozen.

If I would have sued them, one of the provisions would be not to take any more money under my email address. That is just BS.

If I would have sued them, one of the provisions would be not to take any more money under my email address. That is just BS.
You want a good read...

Terms of Service
User Agreement
Acceptable usage policy
Acceptable Liability Policy (good luck finding that. It's there... some where)
Privacy Agreement
Contractual Service Agreement
Digital Liability Clause

If these sound like they're all in their TOS... You'd be wrong. You'd be surprised on how many wavers, clauses, agreements, and contracts you may have agreed to at one time or another.

My account was never fraudulent.

A few years ago someone who had a fraudulent account, purchased something from me. This ended up freezing my account (Don't ask why. I never found out even when suing them)

After winning and getting my money, the account remain forever frozen ... Which it was any ways.

Along comes this guy. I tell him to send me funds using Google Checkout. He agrees. I aend him an invoice though Google Checkout.

He decides to do something stupid and send the money via paypal

Of course my account is still a "black whole" (sort of speak. Money can go in, but never come out).

He tries to reverse the charge.

His account is now frozen.
I don't choose my words well (should have said frozen):) I was attempting to summarize the issue and how they dope got his account frozen lol.

I don't choose my words well (should have said frozen):) I was attempting to summarize the issue and how they dope got his account frozen lol.
No worries. Clearly a communication problem (miscommunication).

Sorry if I took an offensive approach...... I'm kind of use to defending myself when it comes to paypal.....

The odd thing about paypal users, is they seem so eager to blindly defend it to the death. The automatic assumption by every paypal users is that if something went wrong, it must be your fault. Period.

Ironically, I too use to be one of those people. And now looking back, I can't help but feel a little sorry for my own actions toward some past people, who claimed paypal "screwed" them and I stubbornly tried to call them out.

It is only after experiencing the truth 1st hand, that I "woke up" and realized the hard way on how paypal can and does do business.

They have a complete monopoly going on in that so many people never think to look into an alternative. And the foolishly have so many people believing that not using paypal will hurt their business..... There are dozens of alternative to paypal and many of them do not require the buyer to sign up or even know what service your using. Many of them have a lower fee and are accepted internationally in more places in the world than paypal..... Yet so many are unaware.

I'm pretty open minded to an issue I haven't got myself into. So everything you say I'm not attacking or defending. Just listening and materializing my own thoughts from numerous cons and pros over the years. I'll post thoughts when I feel strongly about something ^___^ and likely apologize if it seems to attack someone lol.

I'm not happy with paypal, but it is used a lot, even by me. I also have grudge against google for many reasons, but I'm still inclined to use them and refer to their services. I haven't had a single issue with google checkout and I'm actually making it a point to make it an option for the brick and mortar business I work for.

I do try to avoid paypal and just use Square with my phone now lol. No complaints from me yet!

Top Bottom