What Now?

DieselMinded

Well officially today vBulletin has acquired my forum www.dieselbombers.com , built on 3.8 Ver.

i have also sold www.truckpullers.com built on IPB to a third party in order to avoid contract stipulations.

i have built a vb4 website and i do not wish to go to that software , and i wont use ipb again either.

so if i were to build another forum my choices would be vb3.8 ver or xenforo , tell me why xenforo is Superior to vb3.8 and to keep things honest name some ways that vb3.8 is superior to xenforo

Personally I like the xf user interface better than vb3.8.

xf is extremely young, beta 2, I'm not sure vb3.8 and xf can really be compared in general. But they can be compared to a forum owners specific needs.

Probably Internet brands bought his site. They have many car sites.

One thing I don't get: only 600,000 posts but running on 6 servers? vb 3.8 isn't that slow?

..so if i were to build another forum my choices would be vb3.8 ver or xenforo , tell me why xenforo is Superior to vb3.8 and to keep things honest name some ways that vb3.8 is superior to xenforo
vB3.8 is on an EOL path. Given you are in the forum business to make serious money, why would you even consider starting another board on vB3.8?

As far as Xenforo goes I am concerned about its future because of the ongoing litigation. Since IB filed second lawsuit they either have solid evidence to back their claims up or trying to bleed XenForo to death financially with court costs.

vb3.8 is out of date and is on a EOL path. Granted it has more add-ons but these will not help a site in the long term. Being that social network sites are the next big thing xenforo is complimenting this trend and as it matures you'll see more features, add-ons etc and know that you are staying uptodate with the current technology. With vb3.8 that is not possible.

Yes Internet Brands bought my forum. and as for the 6 servers.. We have remotely hosted content that we pay rent for. Poker, Chatroom ect,,,ect,,, and when you put it all together it makes what appears to be 1 site.

Not wanting to start a new forum on EOL software i jumped over to IPB ,let me tell you what VB EOL is still better than IPB @ 100% development.

so xenforo is getting sued by IB? makes since but i figured Kier was outside of any sort of non compete clause?

As far as Xenforo goes I am concerned about its future because of the ongoing litigation. Since IB filed second lawsuit they either have solid evidence to back their claims up or trying to bleed XenForo to death financially with court costs.

Well this stupid lawsuit also concerns me a little so I will wait and see. But I dont agree that the second lawsuit indicated solid evidense, it seems more to me that IB dosent belive they have much chance winning, so they use every possible chance the have i - they must be very scared of XF competition.

But anyway there is no point in speculating, I hope this will soon get settled, so we can go on and enjoy the bliss of a powerfull and still userfriendly forum like XF.

vB3.8 is on a EOL path. Given you are in the forum business to make serious money, why would you even consider starting another board on vB3.8?

All these people are stating these financial bleeding by IB. I can't see how they are affecting XF financially. It's not like XF has had to pay any money yet besides for a lawyer. So I feel comfortable that XF will do well. Filing in UK does nothing, because they can easily go to court. The US case however may cost something, as they would have to fly there and get a hotel unless someone lets them use their place.

So I can't see how they lose anything..

As for using a board! I'd say get a XF license. After that either use a 3.8.x license till XF gold is out or just use XF now. Its easy to convert from 3.8 to XF.

vb3.8 is out of date and is on a EOL path. Granted it has more add-ons but these will not help a site in the long term. Being that social network sites are the next big thing xenforo is complimenting this trend and as it matures you'll see more features, add-ons etc and know that you are staying uptodate with the current technology. With vb3.8 that is not possible.

How is it not? EOL doesn't mean anything. As long as their are no security flaws. And the devs at vB stated that they WILL be updating it if there are security issues.

Well this stupid lawsuit also concerns me a little so I will wait and see. But I dont agree that the second lawsuit indicated solid evidense, it seems more to me that IB dosent belive they have much chance winning, so they use every possible chance the have i - they must be very scared of XF competition.

But anyway there is no point in speculating, I hope this will soon get settled, so we can go on and enjoy the bliss of a powerfull and still userfriendly forum like XF.

Quite true. I assume they feel UK law will let them down, so they hope the US law will help them out. It's a tough call.

Personally, I don't think they should be allowed to file a lawsuit in the states. It should be only in the UK as the members are in the UK.

Yes Internet Brands bought my forum. and as for the 6 servers.. We have remotely hosted content that we pay rent for. Poker, Chatroom ect,,,ect,,, and when you put it all together it makes what appears to be 1 site.

Not wanting to start a new forum on EOL software i jumped over to IPB ,let me tell you what VB EOL is still better than IPB @ 100% development.

so xenforo is getting sued by IB? makes since but i figured Kier was outside of any sort of non compete clause?

Wow IB spending more $$ I see where all that vB4 money is spent! I guess IB has a car forum fetish.

I bet you got some good $$ from them ;)

Quite true. I assume they feel UK law will let them down, so they hope the US law will help them out. It's a tough call.

Personally, I don't think they should be allowed to file a lawsuit in the states. It should be only in the UK as the members are in the UK.
They are probably trying to take them down financially to delay things and see if they can get them down in different ways.

How is it not? EOL doesn't mean anything. As long as their are no security flaws. And the devs at vB stated that they WILL be updating it if there are security issues.

How is it not what? What the devs over there say and do is two entirely different things. If you haven't learned that by now I'm not about to waste my time explaining that to you.

The devs don't own vbulletin. They have no say. It's a stagnated product end of subject.

How is it not what? What the devs over there say and do is two entirely different things. If you haven't learned that by now I'm not about to waste my time explaining that to you.

The devs don't own vbulletin. They have no say. It's a stagnated product end of subject.

That's what you think.

EDIT: you could be right....

so if i were to build another forum my choices would be vb3.8 ver or xenforo , tell me why xenforo is Superior to vb3.8 and to keep things honest name some ways that vb3.8 is superior to xenforo
I believe you you are asking about the relative merits of the 2 software products. And I gave my input on that in post #2 of this thread.

I realize this is asking a lot, but would it be possible to the legal aspects of the ib/xf case go to this thread?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/current-litigation.7568/

Then possibly try to limit the amount of 'hard' comments about vb? I believe the person that is asking the question is quite familiar with ib/vb because he has used them extensively in the past.

Top Bottom