What is your opinion of '.info'?

Fufu

'.com' is king, not during this point in time of the internet. :)

What is your opinion of '.info'? :coffee: Is it complementary to a xenForo community? :cool: Other TLDs '.net' or '.org' serve a better response for an information community? :confused:

'.com' is king, not during this point in time of the internet. :)

What is your opinion of '.info'? :coffee: Is it complementary to a xenForo community? :cool: Other TLDs '.net' or '.org' serve a better response for an information community? :confused:
I like to pull what some of the old school people use to call, "pulling a Microsoft"

Microsoft was one of the 1st .com domain names. But they made it a point to register every top level domain extension as it become available (they were the first to do so).

So you can reach Microsoft (at one time) by using

Microsoft.com
Microsoft.net
Microsoft.org
Microsoft.info

In the old days whenever someone did the same thing, they called it "pulling a Microsoft" :p

I also do find it ironic that a company which started its web roots from the beginning has fallen so far behind and normally just "doesn't get it" (Bing for example).

I like to pull what some of the old school people use to call, "pulling a Microsoft"

Microsoft was one of the 1st .com domain names. But they made it a point to register every top level domain extension as it become available (they were the first to do so).

So you can reach Microsoft (at one time) by using

Microsoft.com
Microsoft.net
Microsoft.org
Microsoft.info

In the old days whenever someone did the same thing, they called it "pulling a Microsoft" :p

I also do find it ironic that a company which started its web roots from the beginning has fallen so far behind and normally just "doesn't get it" (Bing for example).
In your opinion is '.info' appropriate for a forum based community?

I would make sure the main domin is a .net or .com if you're starting out.
I've had this weird issue on my .us domain
I have had people try to refer others, even I have tried, and the people are like "Red dead dot us? Don't you mean dot com? Let me try dot com. OR did you mean dot net?"

But I'm pretty sure this is all down to your audience. Clearly, if it's a webmaster/tech oriented community you won't have that issue >.>

.info is exactly what adam said, simply "pulling a Microsoft"
I do it! It's kinda nice, but I do it because I had someone squatting on a company .info and .org a few years back and they were beating us out on google for a few terms? Not that we actually tried to get ranked by google *most of our traffic is from word of mouth/business cards* Then they tried to sell us the domain -.- for $$$$
I don't like that lmao

GoDaddy tends to offer me a $1 .info or a free .info so I just take it for the year. If it's less than $5 to renew, then i'll renew otherwise I let it go.

Doesn't really matter what extension you use. It's the content within.

.info domains are extremely cheap and if your site is basically full of information then use it :)
To be honest, .com is cheap, as is .net, .org etc. ~$10 a year for a domain is bloody great value! Personally I'd PREFER prices to be around the $50 a year mark as it would reduce the number of squatters.

If .com is taken I'd use .co before .info.

Like others I 'pulled a Microsoft' and bought all the other domains. Even a couple that sound similar. A small price to pay to save headaches in the future.

Top Bottom