What is the versioning system?

Liam W

in memoriam 1998-2020
I have never seen this mentioned, so pardon me if it has :)

What are each of the points on the versioning for? I know 3rd points are for small changes, and bug fixes, but what are the rest for?

Also, typing has a bit of a lag on this iPad...

This release of XenForo 1.1.4 follows our principle that third-point (x.x.X) releases should always be more stable than the preceding version, so for the most part you will not find new features in 1.1.4. Major new features will be reserved for second point versions (x.X.x).

Ok, you can start ignoring this topic now if you want...

If its a complete change, how is it the same software?

It probably won't. New version (first point) is usually a major rewrite of the current code; sometimes even a complete rewrite. I don't think a new, major version, would come in the next 1.5-2 years.

The first number is major changes. The changes that will break backwards capability, such as fundamental changes.

The second number is reserved for feature releases and expectations are for mostly backwards compatible (they won't introduce a new structurally different style in a second point release).

Third is for bug fixes.

This scheme is followed by almost all major software I know and use.

This scheme is followed by almost all major software I know and use.
One of XenForo's competitors started making major major changes in minor point releases which broke everyone's themes and plugins. It was very disruptive. So this was just XenForo saying "We're going to stick with the industry standard -- each point release gets better, and you don't have to worry about any major changes until a major point release." Sensible and simple but needed to be said.

x.y.z

X = Major revision (eg new fundamental code base which would effectively be moving to a new software)
Y = Major updates (eg, containing large changes and updates or new substantial features and fixes)
Z = Minor Revisions (eg, Small updates, minor feature enhancements, small bug fixes)

x.y.z

X = Major revision (eg new fundamental code base which would effectively be moving to a new software)
Y = Major updates (eg, containing large changes and updates or new substantial features and fixes)
Z = Minor Revisions (eg, Small updates, minor feature enhancements, small bug fixes)
I like to call X Platform changes.

x.y.z

As a QA guy who uses versioning software frequently, it brings tears of joy to my eyes that someone gets this.

As a QA guy who uses versioning software frequently, it brings tears of joy to my eyes that someone gets this.

Whats not to get :confused: its very simple is it not?

The smaller the integer... the smaller the change...

Whats not to get :confused: its very simple is it not?

The smaller the integer... the smaller the change...

You'd think that, wouldn't you? But I've seen programmers do all sorts of stuff with versioning that you just would not believe. One guy versioned himself out to (as an example) 1.5.5.1 from 1.5.5 and then rolled the code back up into the 1.5.7 code everyone else was working on. He was shocked when everything broke and tried to hide it.

Top Bottom