1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the versioning system?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Liam W, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I have never seen this mentioned, so pardon me if it has :)

What are each of the points on the versioning for? I know 3rd points are for small changes, and bug fixes, but what are the rest for?

Also, typing has a bit of a lag on this iPad...

2. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

3. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

So, major new features in second point released. What about first point releases?

4. Sheldon

I can only assume a complete change.

5. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Ok, you can start ignoring this topic now if you want...

If its a complete change, how is it the same software?

6. dtommy79

dtommy79 Member

He probably meant a major rewrite.

7. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

It probably won't. New version (first point) is usually a major rewrite of the current code; sometimes even a complete rewrite. I don't think a new, major version, would come in the next 1.5-2 years.

8. Sheldon

Why would I start ignoring the topic? What is that supposed to mean?

9. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The first number is major changes. The changes that will break backwards capability, such as fundamental changes.

The second number is reserved for feature releases and expectations are for mostly backwards compatible (they won't introduce a new structurally different style in a second point release).

Third is for bug fixes.

This scheme is followed by almost all major software I know and use.

10. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

One of XenForo's competitors started making major major changes in minor point releases which broke everyone's themes and plugins. It was very disruptive. So this was just XenForo saying "We're going to stick with the industry standard -- each point release gets better, and you don't have to worry about any major changes until a major point release." Sensible and simple but needed to be said.

11. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That competitor wasn't that smart. ;) it's still quite standard.

tyteen4a03 and jmurrayhead like this.
  12. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

x.y.z

X = Major revision (eg new fundamental code base which would effectively be moving to a new software)
    Y = Major updates (eg, containing large changes and updates or new substantial features and fixes)
    Z = Minor Revisions (eg, Small updates, minor feature enhancements, small bug fixes)

Edrondol likes this.
  13. Divvens

Divvens Well-Known Member

I think it was more of a polite gesture to state that he doesn't want you to waste your time if you aren't interested in explaining :p

14. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

I like to call X Platform changes.

15. samreddevilz

samreddevilz New Member

Some Nice info here through conversation. I have learned!

16. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

I understood the same :)

17. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

As a QA guy who uses versioning software frequently, it brings tears of joy to my eyes that someone gets this.

18. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Whats not to get :confused: its very simple is it not?

The smaller the integer... the smaller the change...

19. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

You'd think that, wouldn't you? But I've seen programmers do all sorts of stuff with versioning that you just would not believe. One guy versioned himself out to (as an example) 1.5.5.1 from 1.5.5 and then rolled the code back up into the 1.5.7 code everyone else was working on. He was shocked when everything broke and tried to hide it.