XF 2.2 What is the best way to prevent bots and spammers from registering CAPTCHA, questions or ????

ZeroG

CAPTCHA seemed to have improved so I currently just have CAPTCHA on.
Do questions work better for you at preventing spammers and bots?
I was considering doing both but I'm sure that would piss off real folks trying to join so leaning towards going to questions.
Are there any good sample questions to give a hint as to what works best?

I've had good results with invisible rechapta. Works good. For my forum, it worked better than questions without annoying users.
...but to fully protect yourself from spammers, you will need this add-on: Signup abuse detection and blocking (Xon)
It is simply amazing.

Also one or more of three anti-spam addons by @Ozzy47

I ran into issues with VB when using add ons. I would add to many and then when upgrading I had issues due to the add ons.
So I was hoping to manage this without the use of additional add ons.

I ran into issues with VB when using add ons. I would add to many and then when upgrading I had issues due to the add ons.
So I was hoping to manage this without the use of additional add ons.
Then you had better resign yourself to optimizing the standard Xenforo core resources at AdminCP >> Setup >> Options >> Spam Management. You will probably see your forum getting a lot of spam registrations (these have increased exponentially in the past year) so you will want to manually approve ALL new registrations.

Setup accounts for and get API keys at Stop Forum Spam and reCaptcha at a minimum. Also add Akismet.

I would also recommend these settings
  • Check new registrations against the StopForumSpam database = checked
  • Moderate registrations when this many warning flags are detected =1
  • Reject registrations when this many warning flags are detected = 3
  • IP information URL = https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/{ip}
  • Check DNSBL on registration = checked
  • Optional: get a Honeypot account and API key and follow the instructions for setup

Then you had better resign yourself to optimizing the standard Xenforo core resources at AdminCP >> Setup >> Options >> Spam Management. You will probably see your forum getting a lot of spam registrations (these have increased exponentially in the past year) so you will want to manually approve ALL new registrations.

Setup accounts for and get API keys at Stop Forum Spam and reCaptcha at a minimum. Also add Akismet.

I would also recommend these settings
  • Check new registrations against the StopForumSpam database = checked
  • Moderate registrations when this many warning flags are detected =1
  • Reject registrations when this many warning flags are detected = 3
  • IP information URL = https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/{ip}
  • Check DNSBL on registration = checked
  • Optional: get a Honeypot account and API key and follow the instructions for setup
Yup, we also manually approve new sign ups. We also used questions for new sign ups relating to our user base, but found that a script was put together using one of our answers permitting numerous new registrations. We've switched to using reCaptcha and so far (knock on wood) no bad registrations since then even though we see numerous attempted registrations.

The OP said he doesn't want a resolution based on addons .
Yes I did say I'm trying not add to many add ons like I did on VB. Some are necessary and save a lot of work. I prefer no ad ons but I won't cut off my nose to spite my face sooo I'll most likely give this a try.
Thank You all!!!!!!!

Yes I did say I'm trying not add to many add ons like I did on VB.
Overall and generally, the resource guidelines here and the construction of the xF software itself do not lend themselves to addons causing problems like with vB. You're in really good hands here at xF with developers and with support on both those and with the xF team itself. They're not going to let bad addons exist here. It's not the "wild west" like before.

Overall and generally, the resource guidelines here and the construction of the xF software itself do not lend themselves to addons causing problems like with vB. You're in really good hands here at xF with developers and with support on both those and with the xF team itself. They're not going to let bad addons exist here. It's not the "wild west" like before.
Awesome. That is good to know. No, that is GREAT to know. I am new to Xen and love it. You've given me another reason to smile about my decision to switch forums over from VB to Xen. Woo Hoo.

Top Bottom